carbs backfiring

Yes, the dead cylinder method is a great way to get them tuned well. With your Electronic Ignition, you need to make sure you keep your plugs grounded when you do this technique to not fry your ignition (Meaning don't just pull the plug wire to stop the cylinder from firing. You will need to come up with a way to ground out the plug. I attach a screw into the plug wire...then a jumper wire from it to the plug tip...then using a large screw driver, I wedge it and touch the tip of the plug...which shuts down the spark temporarily.)

There's a lot of write ups on doing this method...and this isn't a thorough step by step but the gist is basically to get the bike running and warmed up... set the idle to a little quicker (1500rpm?), isolate one carb (say left side), and kill the right cylinder (ground out the plug on the right side will stop that cylinder from firing)...hopefully the idle speed is enough to keep the left side running on its own, and if so you could even lower it more to really be able to hear the cylinder run (the lower the better) you can then adjust the mixture screw to get the best running idle on the left side (turn the mix in/out to get the fastest/smoothest speed...you'll hear/feel it). Then repeat for the other side... When both cylinders are done, they should be running great. You can now adjust the idle for regular operation (1200rpm+/-) May need to rebalance the carbs again.

Do a search for a complete understanding and how to.

Good luck.

Did you fix the throttle cable? With the 47.5 piolet I would start at 2 turns mixture screws. There are small O-rings for the mixture screws that need to be in place for the piolet system to work properly. Valves should be readjusted.

Thanks, I need to work on the headlight, the guy that sold me the bike disconnected all the wiring to the headlight, the taillight and brake light works, no headlight or rear turn signals, it doesn't have front turn signals.

Does someone have a picture of the wiring in the headlight bucket, I have a black, yellow and a green wire coming from the plug, not sure what they plug into, there is a couple of black plug, not sure which one to use, i checked out a bunch of schematics a photo would be more helpful. I know the bike needs to be running for the headlight to come on. Thanks!!

Back