carbs, exhaust, engine, air filter question...

rustynail99

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
ok guys i had a couple of questions, imagine that! ok so a little background, im running a '79 xs with a harley king sporty tank with a standard harley petcock with a two into one T splitter.

1. is there any cons to buying and using mikuni vm34mm round slide carbs from 650central?

2. is there a huge difference in the k&n filters and the xs performance filters and is it worth the extra cash to get the k&n's?

3. what is a good length and pipe diameter for the exhaust to use with these carbs?

1. No
2. Yes!
3. 1.5" pipe extended to where the foot pegs used to be or longer, if you do your pipes first and let MMM at 650central know what you're running for pipes, filters etc., he will help you get the carbs set up close to being right from the beginning. His rep for after-purchase assistance is excellent.

thanks teebs! would there be anything special i need to do with the tank or fuel line to get the fuel to the carbs? or can i just put them on hook everything up and rock and roll? thanks for the tip about getting the carbs close, i was planning on longer type open drag style pipes maybe around the second lower brace on my tc bros. hardtail. that is where alot of the after market pipes seem to end so i figured that would be good? also when i cut my pipes as you can see in my build thread pics, there is a smaller inner pipe, does anyone know how far that goes up? i want to use the stock headers and just add pipe to it if i cna get away with it.

ok guys i had a couple of questions, imagine that! ok so a little background, im running a '79 xs with a harley king sporty tank with a standard harley petcock with a two into one T splitter.

1. is there any cons to buying and using mikuni vm34mm round slide carbs from 650central?

2. is there a huge difference in the k&n filters and the xs performance filters and is it worth the extra cash to get the k&n's?

3. what is a good length and pipe diameter for the exhaust to use with these carbs?

I think there is a cons and huge difference in the K&N filters from the xs performance filters. As I used my K&N filter, it is worth it to have one. And it is highly recommended by many people here. :D

Teebs or Makindue, would either of you care to elucidate regarding the difference between the two filter makes? Are the XS Performance filters yet another example of poor quality control coming out of China that Mikes can't/won't deal with?

I got a set of green foam pod filters with my VM36s when I bought them, and am none too crazy about them, so I'll likely go with something else. I was considering Mikes', but it would be nice to know why I shouldn't.

Back