Carbs leaking fuel!!!

ZeroShadez

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I have a 78' xs650 special
And it runs more or less really good even though its been sitting for a few years. I went to ride it home was accelerating nicley. Got it up to 60-65 for about 15-20 mins roughly but i had been riding it for at least 30mins non stop. Then it starts to sputter and lose power dramatically. I pull it of on a side road and its just leaking loads of gas out of the carb into the air filter(only the right side carb).
The pet cock was on on. I checked the petcock it works properly. Vaccum lines are looseish but dont fall off. Fuel lines dont leak a drop. And if i take the bike out for a quick 10 min snap it runs great and doesnt leak a drop only if i ride it for a while. So my question really is does this sound like a gasket in the carb or the floats being stuck or what??

Sticky float/inlet valve or some crud getting stuck in the valve seat. Possibly a waterlogged float but that should happen all the time not just on longer rides.

Intermittent float valve problems might be caused by trash in the fuel. Check your filters and take a fuel sample at the petcock. Drain some fuel into a clean clear glass container and see what it looks like.

Back