Carbs, one side leaking gas

sorry Richard you've completely lost me now .:)

peanut if he can observe the slides. . . he must not have filters on.
The diaphragm has an orientation tab. I can't recall anyone ever talking about the slides rotating in the diaphragm on the oem setup. The JBM replacements yes.
The bottom of the slides are flat on those but if the they had a cut-a-way wouldn't it face the back not towards the motor?

@ Richard, carb cleaner is really hard on rubber bits, thinking rubber tipped float valve needles and spraying carb cleaner in the gas inlet here.
The tension pin on the float valve needle is free and extended?
You might try a little steel wool wrapped around a cotton swab to clean the seats of the float valve.
Your vacuum ports on the manifolds are sealed/capped?
Does giving it throttle kill/stall the bike or it runs at an idle and fails to pick-up rpm?
Have you considered trying the carbs off your '83?

Hey weekendrider, it runs at idle but fails to pick up rpms, I could use the other carbs, but this has a Manuel choke, the heritage doesn't. btw I was careful with the carb cleaner, all passages are open.

Here in a nutshell is what happened, when starting my 1981 xs650 special, I noticed my choke wasn't working right (fully pulled) no rise of rpm's. so I took carbs off and notice that I had crud in there, so I clean the carbs and placed them back on bike, that's when I notice gas coming out the right air intake (air box) took off and adjusted floats, now it doesn't leak gas, but I still have no rpm pick up, took out my plugs and they are black, bought two new ones today.

Here is the spark plug

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    184.8 KB · Views: 149
Finally got it running, it's a live I tell you:yikes::bike: warmed it up and it seem to be popping out the right exhaust and smoking a little around the headers , no oil leak, took for a ride all gears shifting:thumbsup: what about that popping?

Last edited:
Not bad after 30 years without riding, first time on the road since 1987, going down the street in my little town going through all the gears (WOW) felt like easy rider, working on this for a year:bike:

exhilarating feeling isn't it ...the first ride.:bike:

Good to hear that you have got it running . Now you've got some fine tuning to look forward to :thumbsup:

Hey guys it starting to give me trouble again, thought I'd start her up and take a ride, but have to choke to start and the it Boggs when trying to give it throttle, what the heck is going on, and the exhaust small strong,

a little bit of choke to start is perfectly normal even in hot weather because the first bit of fuel from the carbs sticks to the venturi and inlet walls in the form of droplets so the engine doesn't get enough fuel for the first 30 seconds or so until it starts to warm up.
Depending on how well your carbs are set up you may find that full choke is too much and it cuts out and ..then need to take the choke off and warm it up with a bit of throttle blipping.

It sounds like youre too rich perhaps one of the chokes are not shutting off completely ? or maybe one of the fuel bowl needle valves are not seating properly leading to some over fueling ? Your spark plugs should tell you if you are over-rich at start up ...they'll be wet

Back