Carburetor is leaking gas..

msellarole

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Here's the issue:

After emptying the carb bowls on the 1982 xs650 just as a routine check, I put the bike the left side stand. Ten or so minutes later I noticed the left air filter was leaking gasoline (maybe a drop every three seconds). After taking the filter off, I still couldn't identify from where inside the carb the gas was leaking from. When on the center stand, the bike still only leaks from the left carburetor.

A few more obvious checks I did:

The leaking obviously stopped after turning the fuel petcock off. The leaking was much slower to start after I had drained out the left carb bowl.

I am a complete newb to motorcycles and engine mechanics in general. Any ideas as to what might be going on here?

Any words of wisdom would be appreciated.

Hi

More than Likely a sticking or perforated float causing fuel to spill over. Or it could just need the float height setting correctly. Check out the tech section under carbs.
Worthwhile whipping them off and giving them a once over

I agree sounds like when you pulled your bowls off the carbs the float either got stuck or got changed. Shoot up to the Xs650 tech page on the center of the top bar on this page. Then go to carb guide theres a crap ton of info that will help you. Also was this a previously running bike or new to you?

samuraiace, the bike is new to me as of july of this summer. it has been working ok most of the summer but there is always something that needs fixing on it. why do you ask?

feliz, really? just hit the carb thats acting up? is that supposed to help things? or was that a joke and now i am looking like a complete idiot?

for the time being, ive just been shutting the fuel valve off when im not riding it to prevent the leaking.

Sometimes a bit of dirt can get stuck in the float needle and seat, not allowing it to close properly. Tapping the float bowl with a screwdriver handle or a small block of wood will sometimes dislodge it. So no, that really wasn't a joke even though it sounded like one.

msellarole the reason I ask if it was new to you was to see if back history on the bike was available (The good the bad and it's quirks). Most times there's other underlining problems that are being missed, but this seems pretty straight forward. Also if you havn't picked up a manual yet for the bike I would, it will save your butt everytime.:thumbsup:

Back