Carburetor throttle valve and diaphragm

tshadow6

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I began stripping down my carburetors today. I cannot get the throttle valve and diaphragm out. According to my Haynes manual, it should tip out. I don't want to tear it out because a new one from Mike's is $70.00 I sprayed some carb cleaner on the needle that sticks out the other side and I'm letting it soak. Has this happened to anyone else?

Hey everyone, I began stripping down my carburetors today. I cannot get the throttle valve and diaphragm out. According to my Haynes manual, it should tip out. I don't want to tear it out because a new one from Mike's is $70.00 I sprayed some carb cleaner on the needle that sticks out the other side and I'm letting it soak. Has this happened to anyone else?

The diaphrams and slides just lift out. Be careful with carb cleaner. You don't want that stuff to get onto any rubber parts such as the diaphrams.

Once you take the tops off and then springs, the slides along with diaphragms and needles should just lift out as one assembly easily.

They are not lifting out. They are stuck. Is it safe to soak them in Pine-Sol? I know I cannot get carb cleaner on the rubber.

You cant move it at all? Try popping your finger in the slide and lifting. Dont pull the diaphragm or you might tear it. You could try lifting the diaphragm off the carb body gently and spraying some pb blaster or something around the slide. Maybe some crud is making it stick.

I got my '75 (basketcase) a while back and the carbs were so gunked up, after taking off the tops and pulling up the edges of the diaphrams, I worked the slides free by levering them with the wooden end of a cleanimg brush. Probably not a recommended method, but I got them out! Then disassembled the carbs (one at a time, so I could see how they went back together, with the Haynes manual right next to me), and scrubbed them (mostly) clean. Then, all the metal parts went into "The Dip" I got from N.A.P.A. for an overnight soak. After a good rinse, dry, and sprayed with carb cleaner (which contains a lubricant), re-assembled. They function okay, but on the next tear-down, I'm going to soda blast them down to the bone and re-gasket everything, so they should be good for another thirty years! Hope I can take better care of it than the previous owner!

Posted via Mobile

I have run into many stuck slides. They get stuck from gas varnish. Heat softens varnish very quickly. I use a heat gun and PB, it doesn't take a lot of heat, keep testing, and be careful to try not to heat up the rubber diaphragms. I suppose hot water would work too, but I wouldn't want to boil the rubber diaphragms.

A heat gun quickly loosens varnished stuck float hinges too. And loosens stuck jets. And stuck throttle plate screws.

Back