carrying alcohol

MN_Bobber

79 XS650 Newb
Reaction score
Folks,

Does anyone know if I can legally carry a sealed mini bottle of alcohol on my chop (once it's running :). I want to pay homage to my favorite whiskey distiller (Makers Mark), but I'm wondering about the legality and how I would have to secure it to the bike.

Else, I could empty it (responsibly :thumbsup:) and use it for another purpose.

Thanks!

I used to work in a chem dep ward up in Duluth and I've met people who got pulled over for stuff like that. It also gives the copper reason to give you a field sobriety test....up to you if your ready for that or not. Personally, Either wire it shut so there is no confusion, carry it in a solo bag, or empty it and fill it with some other liquid.

I've got a guy I know whose name is Jack Daniel ... Anyway the dude wears all the JD crap that harley makes and gets followed by cops constantly.

Would an "open bottle/open container" law apply if the mini-bottle had been opened. Even if the bottle was opened a long time ago and the contents "disposed" of. The bottle would be officially "opened" now, right? (I'll drink to that!)

What if the bottle was refilled with a Maker's Mark-colored epoxy, and then the cap epoxied back on?

I run a Jim Beam flask on the side of my bike and I've had no trouble so far. Then again, I don't drink and ride. There's no bourbon in it though. It's a vacuum reservoir for my cruise control.

SDC12918-1.jpg

Kent

@ OakBehringer - exactly like that. Mount them on the backside of the license plate holder. I like the idea of using one as a sight gauge for the gas tank, but not really sure how to accomplish something like that. Would be pretty sweet though!

i used to carry a refreshing drink on my bike in the cup holder all the time ,but the ol liver couldnt keep up so i had to stop. just put it in a knapsack and take off down the raod cops will nevr know unless u show them

@ OakBehringer - exactly like that. Mount them on the backside of the license plate holder. I like the idea of using one as a sight gauge for the gas tank, but not really sure how to accomplish something like that. Would be pretty sweet though!

That's an AWESOME idea.

It's been done by several people in the chopper world that I've seen. The only problem is the glass does not tend to hold up well against all of the vibration and road rocks etc.

Here's an example with a Corona bottle. I've seen others use JD bottles etc...

radical_honda_cb-twin_chopper.jpg

I was actually thinking of something along the lines of the bottle laying flat on the surface of the tank (half inside the tank and half above the tank). This would take some killer fab skills, but I'm sure someone has done it, somewhere. I'll keep searching.

The main goal right now it to just finish the damn bike and get to riding! Thanks for all the info everyone!

How about like this:

Attachments

• Billy1.jpg
    Billy1.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 201
  • 2461112760100769536eQZuYs_ph.jpg
    2461112760100769536eQZuYs_ph.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 246
  • Billy3.jpg
    Billy3.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 232
  • 200691719500_jackDanielsBike.jpg
    200691719500_jackDanielsBike.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 241
It's been done by several people in the chopper world that I've seen. The only problem is the glass does not tend to hold up well against all of the vibration and road rocks etc.

Here's an example with a Corona bottle. I've seen others use JD bottles etc...

radical_honda_cb-twin_chopper.jpg

I know that bike! I took a picture of it outside Fast Eddies in Alton, IL then like the next day saw it on TV crazy shit. I love the look of the rats that guy puts out.

Back