Cases split, lost "blanking plug" 76xs650B

Gem State Outlaw

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Been lurking for a while now, so much good info and tips that I had to register cause I knew at some point I'd have a sticky spot. So this will be my start. I've tried to search this by a couple different key words and didn't pull anything. If there's a thread I'm overlooking let me know.

Bobber project with full tear down/rebuild. Pamco, rephase, Hugh's PMA, wiseco 0.5 over, port & polish, and lots of other goodies on the way. With the cases split I was cleaning the top case and lost the item my hanes manual calls the "blanking plug". Now gone and looking to replace this little bugger before sealing things back together. Any replacement or fab tips to get this done right? Thanks in advance from a new member.:doh:

No pic yet, cause I'm no computer wiz; but I'll work on it.:D

Yes, a pic would be good, or at least a better description of what it looks like and where it's supposed to go. Frankly, from what little info you've given, I don't have a clue what it is.

Gents, the man is referring to the rubber plug in the edge of the upper case half, left side, behind the stud that's behind the outer crankshaft bearing journal. Yamaha parts books refer to it as "gasket oil sealing," which makes life interesting since they also apply that term to the copper washers in the crankcase assembly. Outlaw, I'm going to spoon feed you exactly one time and also tell you how to do your own homework. As I've indicted many, many times, here and elsewhere, all XS650 parts manuals can be downloaded free from www.biker.net, generously provided by Jean Akers, to whom we all owe a tremendous debt of gratitude. Your part number is 256-15395-00-00. It is in stock and available at www.nwvintagecycleparts.com for $3.16 and probably from a few other NOS vendors like www.yamatopdog.com as well.

I appreciate the spoon feeding (I think?) glad the Griz knew exactly where I was at, and so eloquently described it. Next time I'll think twice....write once....Thanks.

Don't worry Gem. Its never a bad thing to ask for help from us here on the forum.

I think that grizld was trying to hint that you should start all of your questions with the search bar at the top right of the screen. There are a lot of discussions that have already been had on here. And there is a lot of technical information to be had with a service manual. Back before the internet the SM was your first go to reference for problems or questions with your bike.

Don't forget to post pictures of your ride so you can share with all of us the cool stuff you are working on.

The service manual download is free from Jean Akers' site too, but I was referring to the illustrated parts manuals. The manuals--parts and service--should still be the "first go to reference" if you don't want to screw things up; a lot of foolishness gets passed as tech advice on the net. You should have and use your own resources and as far as possible fact-check the advice you get before you decide to act on it.

BTW Coastside, a "blanking plug" is a plug for a hole that's machined to give access for machining other passages or for installing parts, and which must be closed ("blanked") off in use. Clear on the concept?

I figured it out after a short google search a few days ago.

I just bought a 1977 Honda Civic CVCC a few months ago and cut out each page of the service manual and put them in clear plastic sleeves. Then put the whole thing in a spiral ring binder. I do love me a good service manual.

Back