cast iron rust

FLEA

XS650 Guru
Reaction score
been given a few douglas t35 barrels and rockers all cast iron , got wet so light to medium surface rust , any ideas on cleaning them up , was thinking of molasses but now think maybe to messy and a bit of overkill , dont want to spend hrs as will only be trying to preserve them , barrels dont have liners originally just cast iron bores so dont want to stuff them as well

What about heat............If my cast iron pan gets rust i heat, wash it and wipe it with oil before cooking on it................Don't expect your going to cook on your barrels ,...lol......but putting them in the oven for a while on 200 or so then a scrub with something like wd40 then wrap them.

Then again i'm stuck on Lanolin so i would be spraying that on them after the WD40 then wrapping on a plastic bag or in a cloth soaked in Lanolin then a plastic bag...........do regular interval checks after, just in case..........

was thinking the same with the heat (picked up a gas torch a bloke was using for killing weeds cheap ) but also was thinking of something could soak them in to get into the tight spots , on utube metal rescue gets used a lot but to many dollars here even when can get hold of it so thinking maybe white vinegar instead but not sure how it might react with cast iron,,, ie... bores ... so thinking 1/ degrease 2/ heat and light scrub 3 / vinegar 4 / oil and wrap what do you think , also got the option of the large sonic cleaner but not sure where in the process it would be useful or at all as would be using water in it

Evapo-rust comes in a 3 1/2 gallon bucket size with a sieve.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Evapo-Rust-3-5-gal-Safe-Rust-Remover-ER018/300223744
Brush off any thick rust, put it in the bucket warm (like in the sun) speeds it up. 6 to 10 hours, remove rinse with water, done.
I started with smaller containers, but the big bucket makes sense. Poured it in a rusty gas tank and a couple hours later, clean.
I've tried one of the concentrates that you add to water, meh.

Last edited:
Evapo-rust comes in a 3 1/2 gallon bucket size with a sieve.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Evapo-Rust-3-5-gal-Safe-Rust-Remover-ER018/300223744
Brush off any thick rust, put it in the bucket warm (like in the sun) speeds it up. 6 to 10 hours, remove rinse with water, done.
I started with smaller containers but the big bucket makes since. poured it in a rusty gas tank and a couple hours later, clean.
I've tried one of the concentrates that you add to water, meh.
looks good but hard to find in australia and expensive , same prob with metal rescue , finally found same sieve product here 270 au dollars and about a week or more shipping

Last edited:
Back