Castles, bridges and other aspects of the Scottish Borders

There are lots of disused railway bridges in the Scottish Borders. At one time, most towns and villages were served by a railway line but they were gradually closed until the main railway, the Waverley line from Edinburgh to Carlisle, was axed in 1969.

This bridge about two miles from where we live once carried the Waverley line - would have been busy but now like many others it's a redundant structure.

PICT0723.JPG

There are lots of disused railway bridges in the Scottish Borders. At one time, most towns and villages were served by a railway line but they were gradually closed until the main railway, the Waverley line from Edinburgh to Carlisle, was axed in 1969.

This bridge about two miles from where we live once carried the Waverley line - would have been busy but now like many others it's a redundant structure.

View attachment 244357
Raymond, you got the railways Wales got the canals. Lots of historical architecture between our countries.

Raymond, you got the railways Wales got the canals. Lots of historical architecture between our countries.
And Wales has the castles. Actually, Scotland has plenty of fortified houses, peel towers. And lots of castles too.

England has the prettiest castles - Bodiam, Leeds and many others.

But Wales takes the prize for proper castles, great Norman structures designed to keep the locals under control. More per square mile than any other country in Europe.

And Wales has the castles. Actually, Scotland has plenty of fortified houses, peel towers. And lots of castles too.

England has the prettiest castles - Bodiam, Leeds and many others.

But Wales takes the prize for proper castles, great Norman structures designed to keep the locals under control. More per square mile than any other country in Europe.
Yes you are right Raymond. Wales has more castles per square mile than any other region of the United Kingdom.

I once had breakfast at the Grosvenor hotel London. The Americans on the next table were discussing castles:
Harry said 'Where is Bob this morning?'
Mike replied 'Hes gone to see the Tower Of London'
Harry replied 'Shucks, you've seen one castle, you've seen them all!'

True story; made me chuckle over my bacon and eggs.
Ads.

Still aiming to give those who live in very different places an idea of our quiet and green part of the world. Out and about locally on Miss November this afternoon. The photos might appear faded but I think that's because the Sun was out. Proving that can happen in Scotland, even in September.

This an oddity - a rural graveyard. In the middle of nowhere, no church nearby, don't think any new graves have been added for a long time. Nearest houses are Longnewtown half a mile away, which I will not describe as a village. Hamlet maybe?

PICT0779.JPG

As you can see, it might be disused but somebody cuts the grass and tends to the place. The grave stones include this rather elaborate oddity:

PICT0784.JPG

You might spot the Eildon Hills - group of three ancient volcanic peaks just outside our village. The view of the farmland across the lane from the graveyard:

PICT0780.JPG

The hay has been cut. Gentle slope up to a low ridge with a line of trees along. Typical of the gentle countryside in this part of the Borders.

Last edited:
I'm out on The Brat tomorrow (Taffy XS650 is playing up). The GS1200 will take me to this location for a day of Fly fishing.
Capture.PNG

GOODRICH CASTLE On the banks of the river Wye.

This an oddity - [quotea rural graveyard. In the middle of nowhere, no church nearby, don't think any new graves have been added for a long time. Nearest houses are Longnewtown half a mile away, which I will not describe as a village.
Random small grave yards are not uncommon in my neck of the woods. They do pose the curiosity of being a family plot, a long lost village plot or maybe a regimental plot from the Civil War. I am now going to have to examine a few instead of driving right past them. Thanks. Side note, I attended a funeral a few years ago and the procession from the rural church went down several county roads to a 5-8 acre plot of a cemetary surrounded by corn field. Perhaps a parishoner donated a small section?

Found in the woods near us after seeing it on an old topo map.
received_10211698828689751.jpeg

Not so common here in Wisconsin but a family plot, some of the 8 or 9 markers (several visible in the background) were hand hewn with chiseled in dates. burials were in the mid to late 1800's

Found in the woods near us after seeing it on an old topo map.
View attachment 250689
Not so common here in Wisconsin but a family plot, some of the 8 or 9 markers (several visible in the background) were hand hewn with chiseled in dates. burials were in the mid to late 1800's
I belong to an organization that cleans and restores cemeteries and headstones where Confederate soldiers are buried.. FWIW, the cleaning of headstones is very delicate work. Using harsh cleaners and pressurized water can erode and destroy them. We use the same method that is used at Arlington National Cemetery. Basically we use a horse shampoo and soft natural bristle brushes. Please be careful if you endeavor to do this type of work. Someone with good intentions has made the reading of some of my family's headstones impossible.

Back