Chain Guide

Duck749

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
So, dumped the oil and pulled both filters to change out, while preparing for clutch change. Stuck around the lower filter, and under it, were long black plastic pieces which I assume is the chain guide. Attached is picture.

Couple questions, I hear it is concern when you see aluminum shavings, however how normal is it to get these pieces floating around? Will you get some between oil changes? As I am doing a tracker build, my intent was to finish assembly and work electrical/mech bugs out this summer. Next winter pull engine again and replace guides. I am trying to judge risk and normality of pieces.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    159.9 KB · Views: 97
Yeah the thin side strips from the front guide. If your chain adjuster is within "normal range" and the oil doesn't look like metallic paint you're prolly good to go for a another "summer's riding". Individual tolerance for such things varies. LOL

Last edited:
There is a lip of rubber running down each side of the guide and that's what you've found there. It's the part that breaks off first. I don't think you'll find much more in the future because that looks to be about all of it, lol. I'll bet if you lined up all those pieces in two columns, it would add up to the entire length of the guide. This doesn't mean the guide is totally shot yet. The main rubber strip down the center could still be there. It's definitely a sign that the guide is on it's way out though.

You won't really find aluminum shavings in the oil but rather just ground up particles. If you closely examine the old oil you drain, it will look like it has metal flakes in it .....

GSzF2dl.jpg

+1 - your front timing chain guide is heading south....permanently.

As stated above, I’d keep a close eye on the timing chain adjuster and oil level (do NOT overheat the engine by running it low) and keep going for a while.

Pete

Back