Chain of fools?

davem222

davem222
Reaction score
Hey guys (and gals, possibly),
I'm going to need to get a drive chain for my 79 2F hardtail. What are the sizes I need to be aware of? I know there's numbers like 510 and 520 and then also the number of links like 110 and 120. What do the 520 and 510 numbers mean and which do I need? Also, I imagine I'll need to remove links from whatever chain I get, what size should I start with? Is there a guide somewhere on how to fit the chain length? Thanks!

Dave

Assuming you have stock sprockets, you have a 530 chain. These are sometimes replaced with a 520. I let you know how to tell.

The first number represents how long each link is in eighths. A 520 or 530 or 5XX whatever has links that are 5/8 pin to pin. A 630 chain in 3/4...

The second number is width the same way, so a 520 has a 1/4" thick sprocket while a 530 has 3/8". A few seconds with a tape measure should tell you which you need.

As to length, I've never understood this obsession with buying a precise number of links. 530 chain runs about 20 links per foot. Run a tape around your sprockets, get an overall length, and do a little math. Buy extra, wrap it around your sprockets with the rear axle set in the center of the adjustment slot, cut off what you don't need.

Chain breakers (even good ones) aren't very expensive and are a handy addition to your tool box.

Back