Chain tensioner and axle plates?

austintylerr

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Do I necessarily "need" both? I'm running a tc hardtail and monstercrafstman chain tensioner and I absolutely hate the look stock axle adjusters. I was under the impression that the axle adjusters were used mainly to account for slack in the chain.

The axle adjusters keep your rear wheel centered. I wouldn't trust the axle nut alone to do this. I would think you can't go without.

Do I necessarily "need" both? I'm running a tc hardtail and monstercrafstman chain tensioner and I absolutely hate the look stock axle adjusters. I was under the impression that the axle adjusters were used mainly to account for slack in the chain.

The axle adjusters are also used to take up play in the chain, the tensioner keeps the chain from slapping up and down from the long chain. (the spring on the tensioner is too week to take up all the play and slapping too) on a 6 over hard tail I built I had to
have a tensioner and an extra roller to keep the long chain from slapping. :bike:

I never see much imagination with the axle plates. If you really do not like the ubiquitous tensioner and axle plate you could do something cool. I'll suggest about a 3" diameter tube about 1.5-2" wide cut and welded to the tail instead of the plates. A smaller pipe is welded vertically and slit through to make the 3" tube a pinch clamp. Two aluminum axle holders are turned on a lathe and drilled off set for the axle. By spining the al. holders the chain is adjusted.

Lathe turn the holders with a lip on one side and index mark them to match an index mark on each pinch clamp for easy alignment.

If the axle plates are in place you could make up a couple of 1/8" plate steel scrolls with the axle hole in the center. These would be in place of washers for the axle bolt. A square key welded to the axle plate would allow the scroll to bear against it so spinning the scroll adjusts the chain.

I've seen these on both one-off racing and production bikes so it's not some weird idea of mine. The scrolls may be available for certain bikes, which sure would be easy.

Tom

Last edited:
Back