Chain tensioner with 4 inch stretch

section8joe

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Im building my first bike and I'm wondering if I need a chain tensioner. I'm using a david bird hardtail with a 4 inch stretch. What do you guys think. What kind do you recommend? I'm not talking about the axle plate tensioners. Im referring to the ones that are a skateboard wheel or a cog that keep the actual chain tight.

It sorta depends on how close your fender is to your tire. I'm using a 5" trailer fender over an 18" wheel and tire, so I've got maybe 5/8" of clearance. I like the look so I don't have alot of room to use the axle plate chain tensioners so I'm using a frame mounted tensioner from monstercraftsman.com . Another factor to consider is that the XS doesn't have the cush drive system in the rear hub like the CB750, so that long a chain can really get some whip goin on and running a looser chain with the spring loaded tensioner alleviates that effect. I have a G&L hardtail, but I really like the look of the david bird unit, I wish it had been on the market earlier...

I am planning on using a spring loaded tensioner with wheel, there is a solid black wheel available rather than use the skate board wheel. I think these will last longer than a sprocket version and might be safe should the chain break or something go wrong.

I posted a thread on this very topic about 3-4wks ago got a lot of info, if you want to look through my threads.

I put a chain tensioner on my first build and it works really good. Its' a 6" stretch so it kind of needed it. Just to see if it worked I had a buddy ride the bike and hit the gas and let go of the gas and if that tensioner wasnt there it would be slappin around bad.

Aussiehard, IMHO the steel sprocket will outlast a plastic urethane skateboard wheel by a factor of at least 20. My son skates and I see how often he has to replace his wheels and bearings.

I rode my bike with the skate board wheel as the tensionerall summer last year and it hasn't even made a groove on the wheel and it still spins freely.

Back