Chain to shaft drive

joe rob

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I have a 1980 xs650sg and am wondering if it can switched to shaft drive? What I want to do is build a trike out of it using a auto rear end. My balance isn't great and I have a bike that has been stored since 1997.I got the rear to turn by hand, shifts up and down ,and I can turn the engine by hand. I am soaking it with a mix of kroil and PB blaster. Thank y'll for your time.

Perhaps find a Chain drive rear ATV axle with a differential, they are out there.

Best to get a shaft drive engine. I would suggest a Virago from 83 on up. Plentiful, cheap, reliable. Your xs engine is worth just as much or more on the market, and it is SO much easier to do than a chain drive differential. Those are usually junk, IMO. Also, a GS Suzuki, preferably an 850 if money is an issue. Everyone prefers the 1100, so the 850 shafty is cheap and it's as tough as a stone bridge.

There are some Kawasaki's KZ's too that are shaft drives. There are kits too, to convert larger touring bikes to trikes. Lemans comes to mind.

Best to get a shaft drive engine. I would suggest a Virago from 83 on up. Plentiful, cheap, reliable. Your xs engine is worth just as much or more on the market, and it is SO much easier to do than a chain drive differential. Those are usually junk, IMO. Also, a GS Suzuki, preferably an 850 if money is an issue. Everyone prefers the 1100, so the 850 shafty is cheap and it's as tough as a stone bridge.

I'll 1-up you on that and say just get the whole Virago at that point. They seen plenty cheap and with a decent aftermarket following. Seems like so much more work the other way around.

Back