chain wax is anybody using it

danxs650mass

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
is anybody using chain wax on there chain ? im runing just lube but i was told too use chain wax i never heard of it before im i that far behind the times is it any good ? let me know what you guys think i was told its alot cleaner to use :shrug:

i hate chain wax....i don't even use it on my 999 or the wifes Monster and they are Oring chained bikes. I always use a bit of motor oil.

is anybody using chain wax on there chain ? im runing just lube but i was told too use chain wax i never heard of it before im i that far behind the times is it any good ? let me know what you guys think i was told its alot cleaner to use :shrug:

- basically, it's paraffin (aka wax) kept in a liquid form by a chemical carrier...when you put it on your chain, the carrier evaporates, leaving the wax
- washes easily off in the wet
- to get penetration best to apply to a warm chain

Wet, semi-dry or dry? Which chain lube is best?
The primary purpose of any chain lube is to form a thin, flexible coating on your chain and sprockets in order to prevent any direct, metal to metal contact. The best chain lubes reduce friction by constantly flowing around and over the intermeshing metal parts of your drive train.

Wet Chain Lubes
Wet chain lubes go on wet and stay wet. They are similiar to the oil used in most cars but a little thinner in consistancy. Wet lubes remain as a fluid; they constantly respond to the intermeshing movements of chains and cogs. They almost eliminate metal to metal contact. Friction is reduced to a minimum while component longevity and performance is greatly increased. For smoothest shifting and greatest performance wet lubes are the best choice. However, wet lubes tend to pick up dirt easily and require frequent cleaning. Wiping the entire drive train after every ride with a soft cloth and Cleaner to remove excess lube, splatters and dirt is recommended.

The secondary purpose of a good chain lube is to be low maintenance; not an easy goal to achieve on open drive trains. All of the chain lubes work well as lubricants. Unfortunately there is a direct trade off between low maintenence and the best performance. Wet lubes provide the highest performance but require meticulous cleaning. Dry lubes require more frequent applications but perform well in muddy, wet conditions. Semi-dry chain lubes achieve the best balance between performance and maintenance.

Semi-dry Chain Lubes
Semi-dry chain lubes go on wet and then start to dry. They contain additives like Teflon which strongly adhere to bare metal. Semi-dry lubes retain fluid characteristics; they constantly respond to the intermeshing movements of your chain and cogs. Like wet lubes they almost eliminate metal to metal contact. For smoothest shifting and greatest performance wet lubes are the best choice. However, semi-dry lubes tend not to pick up dirt and require less frequent cleaning.
Originally designed as a chain lubricant for industrial chains and chain saws, they are adapted to the rigorous needs of m-cyclists. Goes on wet, foams rapidly into links and pins and drys to a semi-viscous fluid. It is impervious to water and requires little maintenance.

Dry Chain Lubes
Dry chain lubes go on wet, then quickly evaporate while leaving behind a soft, waxy lubricant. Dry lubes start as a fluid but end up more like Jello. They do the poorest job of lubricating because the intermeshing of your chain and sprockets pushes the waxy lube out of the way. Metal to metal contact is more common with dry lubes.
For smoothest shifting and greatest performance wet or semi-dry lubes are a better choice. However, dry lubes pick up very little dirt and are a necessity for muddy or wet trails. Apply frequently when using any dry lube.
ProLink is our favorite dry lube. It requires less frequent application, wears well and does not easily wash off. Unlike waxy dry lubes, ProLink bonds directly to the bare metal surfaces and stays in place until it wears off.

I thought chainwax would be Great. I tried it for a season, the Build up was Bad for me, A mess in my experience. Maybe I wasn't using it right. Seems it would work well in Dirt and dusty, Wet.

My Choice "Bel Ray New Super Clean Chain Lube" every 250-300 Miles, I have used on my "was new" 520 Chain, its wearing well and has not Disappointed me.

I've used DuPont Teflon Dry Wax for some years with very good results. It doesn't wash off if you hit wet weather, doesn't hold grit, is O-ring safe, and has resulted in longer adjustment intervals. The chain is still slick to the touch after 600 miles.

I soak the chain in 80/90, go for a ride to distribute the oil, and then a light coating of white lithium when I get back. Chains stay clean and well oiled. I've used the wax on my r6, but I didnt like the way it attracted dirt.

Back