Challenging carb installation - new holders

QTreiber

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello,

I installed new Tour Max carb holders on my 1979 XS650 Special II. Now I have a hard time installing the carbs; they just don't want to enter the holders.

I used silicon grease and even warm air from a hair dryer to make the carb holders more pliable in the cold garage, but I still was not able to mount the carbs. I did not have this problem with the original (OEM?) holders.

Is there a trick or is it all about brute force? Having a helper probably wouldn't hurt, to push both carbs in at the same time(?).

Thank you,
Armin

Hello,

I installed new Tour Max carb holders on my 1979 XS650 Special II. Now I have a hard time installing the carbs; they just don't want to enter the holders.

I used silicon grease and even warm air from a hair dryer to make the carb holders more pliable in the cold garage, but I still was not able to mount the carbs. I did not have this problem with the original (OEM?) holders.

Is there a trick or is it all about brute force? Having a helper probably wouldn't hurt, to push both carbs in at the same time(?).

Thank you,
Armin

Yes, they are meant to be a very tight fit. In fact they are an interference fit.

My carbs measure 1.840", and my OEM carb manifolds measure 1.795". So, that means the manifold rubber has to stretch 0.045". I use dielectric grease on the rubber. I put the bottom part of the carbs in first,so the carbs are at an angle, and then 1 good push up and in they go.

What is the measurement of your carb holders? Are you using BS38 carbs, and do they measure 1.840"?

Yeah there are BS 34 boots and BS38 boots, your bike had BS38s from the factory the next year, 1980 got the BS34's BS34 boots are smaller.....
Some sites get the change over year wrong...

Even with stock boots, grease and heat I often have to do some pretty serious arm bar wrestling and a kind of rock them angle them in motion.

Retiredgentleman were your ID measurements on the intake at the retaining ring or bore? Just wondering.
After my first time( and reading about intakes with cracks or pieces gone) I decided to start leaving the clamp ring undone not just loose. Seems easier to me. I usually replace those phillps with allen heads.

Yes, they are meant to be a very tight fit. In fact they are an interference fit.

My carbs measure 1.840", and my OEM carb manifolds measure 1.795". So, that means the manifold rubber has to stretch 0.045". I use dielectric grease on the rubber. I put the bottom part of the carbs in first,so the carbs are at an angle, and then 1 good push up and in they go.

What is the measurement of your carb holders? Are you using BS38 carbs, and do they measure 1.840"?

No wonder I had such a hard time... I got the wrong holders: my BS38's measure 1.84" and the manifolds 1.65" :banghead:

I got them from eBay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/260857771949?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

The following bikes were listed:
XS650G /H Special II 1980-1981

XS650SG /SH Special 1980-1981

XS650SJ /SK Heritage Special 1982-1983

XS650SE /F 1978-1979

I guess they are for BS34's, oh well....

Thanks again for your help,
Armin

Back