Chance of Frost Overnight

lakeview

XS650 Guru
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
20221020_165623.jpg
So it's 5 PM and my hands are colder than an alloy cylinder head, picking green tomatoes and not ready peppers or else they may freeze overnight. We have had a very prolific tomato crop, ripe ones since late July, but lately the novelty of walking out and picking a handful of sweet 100's on the way to the garage was getting pedestrian.
I'll sort this batch and save most of them to ripen over the next few weeks.
Supposed to warm up to the mid teens on the weekend, so I will ride Sunday and show off my original '76 tins.
20220908_162745.jpg

Trick i learned in NZ when the frost was approaching and had to pick the tomato vines clean. The ones with a slight red tinge would ripen in the sun on the window ledge inside. The green ones i stored in a cool dry bench draw, (away from any light), in a wooden shed/workshop, (no condensation), so they didn't touch each other and sitting on hessian sacking with another piece of sacking covering them.

Over the next several weeks they ripened and it think it took up to a couple of months for the last of them to ripen ....................of course if you like green tomato jam that another option ....:thumbsup:

Back