cheap 79 build

carter724

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
i picked up a beat up but running Special in the fall. its my first street bike. I went with a mild custom because i've seen a lot of these bikes ruined because people over estimate their fab skills. :laugh: i took it down to the frame (sandblasted/painted it) and replaced typical things like tapered bearings, swingarm bushings/seals, carb rebuild/jet, rebuilt brakes, blah blah blah.
i lowered the rear with shadow shocks, front is lowered 1 3/4"?. i took 2" out of the rear loop. the seat cover/foam is from an early 70's yamaha dirtbike. The seat pan was shit, so i made my own. the rear section will be fiberglass, the one in the pics is a mold i made. i also reshaped the original side covers.
This is just a mock up, she still needs new tires mounted, wiring, chain/sprockets, paint. I've got everything i need purchased, and will have under $850 into it. Not a bad bike for the money :shrug:

Attachments

• xsre1.jpg
    xsre1.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 341
  • xsre2.jpg
    xsre2.jpg
    181.3 KB · Views: 413
  • xsre3.jpg
    xsre3.jpg
    218.8 KB · Views: 351
  • xsre4.jpg
    xsre4.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 319
For some reason I think I'd like it more if you only took out 1" of the rear loop...looks like the rear end is too short. Gives it too much of a burly bull-dog look...unless you're going for that look. I guess I'm thinking of the stinger tails on the old KZ 900's...I love that type of tail.

Regardless of what my opinion is, it's a badassed bike and build for the money and it's an original bike you built on your own that doesn't look like the rest of the "custom" bikes out there from people who HIGHLY underestimate their fab skills. Nice job. Ride the dog shit out of it. Or sell it and get another and work on your fab skills. You're doing well if this is one of your first bikes...

you're probably right about taking a little too much out of the loop, but my hope is that when i mount a tail light & plate it will fill out the back end a little more. i like the old kz900 tails too, but i'm not sure it would look right on my ride.
'riding the dog shit out if it' is the plan:thumbsup:
thanks for the feedback

Last edited:
Wow it has been a while. I got the bike back on the road for one riding season and then it sat for another year. I've recently started round 2 of the build and have been slowly upgrading parts. Baby #2 will be here any day now, so progress will probably return to a snail's pace.

An 18" rear wheel conversion is almost complete. Got the sprockets lined up and spacers made. All I have left is to fab a new brake stay. Along with that came taller shocks (I should have gone 1" taller) and new Dunlop K70's: 3.5-19 front and 4.00-18 rear.

I made a new seat pan that's ready for upholstery. A new rear fender/mounts/tail light are in the works.

The front end needs cleaned up. Next on the list is a new front MC and stainless lines front and back. Then a smaller headlight.

I'm shopping for a 2 into 1 exhaust or high pipes, so if you've got some you want to sell let me know.

I have a xs500 tank that will be modified to fit this winter.

Hopefully more updates to come soon.

full

brown leather seat option

full

I like the new look better. And you ditched those crappy pods. Hope the new arrival goes well. Post your progress when you get a chance. New seat looks great. Gordon Scott for the 2into1. :thumbsup:

randomtone: The shocks are 12.5" eye to eye. how is your wheel swap going?

scabber: yes those pleated pods were terrible. I rode the bike twice with them on then they went into the trash.

A quick update:

Reworked the factory headlight ears to lower and tuck the headlight closer to the neck (will add more pics).

I'm in the middle of upgrading the front brakes. Replaced the worn out master cylinder with a 13mm Nissin. I mounted a FZR rotor and caliper on the front. The caliper was surprisingly easy to rebuild. The caliper mounting bracket I made is visually too big and looks out of place on the bike, but I can't pare it down much more because of the bolt positions. So I'll be looking for another caliper. I may end up with a brembo. Does anyone with a brembo 4 spot know the total width of the caliper body? I have already made a spacer for the rotor and would rather not remake one to get more clearance from the wheel.

full

I also bought a used set of VM32 carbs. They are mounted to TC Bros aluminum manifolds. The jetting is way off, but I've done quite a bit of reading and know where I need to start (thanks grizld1!). That will be a fall/winter project. After I took this pic the bodies cleaned up pretty well with a quick soda blast.

full

Still waiting for my turn at the upholsterer. In the mean time I get to change my mind 50 more times. More Photoshop work, this time with black leather. With brighter paint on the tank I think it would look nice.

full

randomtone: The shocks are 12.5" eye to eye. how is your wheel swap going?

I just got it to run for the first time this week, so I will start on the swap soon. The shocks are worn out anyway so I'll be getting new ones for the 18" wheel. Thanks for the info, I'll be getting 13.75" tall shocks.

Last edited:
Wow it has been a while. - - -

Hi carter,
good that your bike is still "a work in progress" rather than abandoned in the back of a shed.
But fenders, man, unless you live in a place with zero rainfall bikes need fenders.
And the front one don't just deflect the rain, it helps to stop those skinny front forks from flexing.
As will a TKAT fork brace. Fit one of those if you won't put the fender back on.
Me, I got both.

Back