Cheapest petcock rebuild kits?

ericmu17

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Does anyone know where I can get new petcock rebuild kits that arent that expensive?

http://www.mikesxs.net/product/20-0050.html

These are the exact petcocks I have. Apparently they were brand new when I bought the bike a couple years ago and they already need a rebuild. I have BS38s on my 1980 special so i hope that the PO got the right kind.

That petcock won't fit on your 1980 tank, the mounting hole spacing is different. What you probably have is the #20-0019, same style but with a wider mount. You should probably check with Mike's 1st, but it's possible one of the $16.50 rebuild kits they offer for the earlier petcocks will work. The only part that wouldn't is the tank to petcock o-ring because your base is different, but they sell that separately.

You may not even need a rebuild kit, just a careful dis-assembly, cleaning, and
tweaking. Where's it leaking from? Front face around the arm or is it failing to shut off completely?

It's leaking from the valve assembly... I took it apart and flipped the washer and cleaned everything.... still leaks ... The main washer was all dry rotten and worn.

I cant fuc@king stand how even the new parts on this bike needs rebuilt. There goes another 40-50 bucks. Id honestly rather just buy brand new quality petcocks instead of wasting my money on this chinese mikesxs Bullshit. Anyone know a source for a decent Petcock?

Yeah but read your post; I want quality / I want the cheapest parts.
One problem is finding parts that will fit a MikesXS petcock.
Being cheap myself (and I like vacuum petcocks) I bought some cheap fleabay rebuild kits for the stock petcocks, the only part I could use was the 4 hole black seal. the rest of the parts were too poor to fit. And yes the chinese stuff is likely to have inferior rubber that won't stand up to ethanol. If you really want quality probably adapters and pingels are the way to go. $$$

YP-3G1-24500-03-00=abce1f3a.gif

You can buy a brand new OEM petcock at PARTZILLA for $67.54. This is the one for the SG. Mine has been working just fine for the last 30 years with no rebuild. It doesn't get better than that! YMMV.

If you really want quality probably adapters and pingels are the way to go. $$$

My Throw in the Towel mod gives very high quality at low cost functionally speaking. But it doesn't give flashy.

The link to the original petcock, it's only a few more dollars there than good rebuild kits. But there's some issues in the original that a rebuild thread from gggary addressed. So I wonder how long the originals truly last without some attention. Personally, too many pricey unknowns so I threw in the towel.

Back