Cheapest Place To Get A Hardtail Done?

projectxs650

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Title kind of says it all.

I hate to use the word "Cheap" because it has a negative connotation with it. So I really mean low cost.

Just looking to get a 3 or 4 inch stretch, and have 2.5'' of ground clearance.....but more importantly i'm trying to run a 180 on the rear.

Average price i've seen has been $350 and up. anyone know of anything lower? Thanks!

Your garage

Posted via Mobile
X3 :D and with 2 1/2" of ground clearence I assume this is a drag bike? Because turning will be out of the question :yikes: P.S. Like redneck says the TC bro is cheap and for your first build on a budget you might want to go that route, good luck on you build.

X3 :D and with 2 1/2" of ground clearence I assume this is a drag bike? Because turning will be out of the question :yikes: P.S. Like redneck says the TC bro is cheap and for your first build on a budget you might want to go that route, good luck on you build.

Yea for the most part it'll be a drag bike. So i all ways have a hard time understanding the geometry of the frame. But just to double check. Lets say I go with a TC bros weld-on. could i still get that 2.5 clearance (or even 3'')?? what effects how much clearance i get?

x5. Renting a welder is cheap... having a shop weld your hardtail is a big ripoff.

Um yeah, Im gonna have to go ahead and disagree with you on that one....
hO-rrSoq1Nu3TOVe32yFYmMp9Be0jBuSv9vvLTDQj_OrQ6&t=1.jpg

All depending on costs, but under $150 for a good tail to be fitted, and welded up in a JIG isn't a ripoff, anything over might be :thumbsup:

Um yeah, Im gonna have to go ahead and disagree with you on that one....
hO-rrSoq1Nu3TOVe32yFYmMp9Be0jBuSv9vvLTDQj_OrQ6&t=1.jpg

All depending on costs, but under $150 for a good tail to be fitted, and welded up in a JIG isn't a ripoff, anything over might be :thumbsup:
:laugh: "The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care."

First off, I would recommend getting a bike and learning to ride before you shoot off building a death trap that resembles some un-ridable show horse.

I have found PLENTY of information by using the little search feature in the upper right corner of your screen. There is also a tech section and topics that discuss pretty much everything you have asked.

If you are trying to build a cheap bike, do that. There's no reason in the world to run a 180 on the back of a XS650 (unless you have plenty of money and a strong engine). Run a normal wheel or something you an install with the tools you have available. Meet local bike guys and join local forums. Having a broad network of friends will help you get things done cheap (and hopefully they will tell you when you dreams should become fairy tails).

I'm a newb too. But I realize that I can't just jump into building beauties without A.) lots of money, or B.) Lots of time and research.

We are not the first people asking any of the questions we come up with. Even the dumbest shit you have ever conceived. SEARCHING will prove that. Good luck on the low buck build.

Ask a lot of question and budget carefully. If you have a buddy who welds good have him weld it up. It aint cheap building a bike. I'm working with a $500 budget (not counting the new tank, paint and tires for building a bratstyle bike for the wife. With a hardtail your looking at the additional expense of the hardtail.

^ When he says $350, I think he's including the tail section itself. If you can find a place that will hardtail your frame for a 180 rear wheel for $350, that sounds like a hell of a deal. I believe the $150 figure comes from the TCbros price after you buy their tail section, so that's the labor price.. Without really looking into it, I don't think you're going to find a place that will do a hardtail for a 180 rear for under $500. :twocents: I could be wrong about that though since I haven't really looked.

Get the Gary Poh offset kit if you don't want to run a jack shaft.

I have one in the mail.

I am trying to order a 180/200 Hard tail from Elswick Cycles they answered my original email with postage……Haven't responded to my last 3 saying yes happy with price let me buy the F#@%&*R!!!!

May now peruse other supplier.

Back