Cheapest Regulator/Rectifier For Stock System, Scooter?

PHeller

Erie, PA
Reaction score
I'm trying to compare the cost of the Hugh's PMA kit to what I could buy via ebay and other sources.

Are there any regulators that are cheaper than $40 that would work with both the stock system and the PMA?

ebay has alot of scooter regulator/rectifiers that are cheap, but will they work?

Posted via Mobile

Last edited:
There are NOS automotive solid state regulators from cars in the 1970's, that work perfect and cost around $20 or less.

Tell us what year your bike is and what year the engine is if different.

78 Standard

I know about the Chrysler Regulator but I'd prefer to have a combined unit.

Posted via Mobile

The stock setup is an excited field charging system whereas the PMA is not, so it will be difficult to find a single system that can handle both. Not for under $40 anyway.

Never had this question answered.

Can I use a super small 5 wire (3 yellow, 1 red, 1 black) regulator/rectifier on my PMA swap?

Does the size of the regular/rectifier matter in its operation?

Posted via Mobile

PHeller;

If you haven't already bought a PMA conversion, why not stay with the stock alternator. The stock design works very well and its both easy and cheap to buy a NOS automotive regulator. Also easy and cheap to build a rectifier.

I prefer a separate rectifier and regulator. Easier to troubleshoot and if one fails, you are only replacing that unit, not the combined unit.

With electrical components that produce power (that means heat), its usually not a good idea to try to minaturize everything. The rectifier needs a heat sink large enough to prevent heat build up in the diodes themselves.

Regulators are quite small so size is not an issue. The solid state regulators don't generate much heat.

Yea I've already got most of the expensive parts of the PMA swap for less than $100. Total cost will end up being around $140, less if I sell some of the extra parts.

I am planning on running a small battery that won't be used for the starter, hence the PMA.

Posted via Mobile

Back