choke cable to choke plunger swap

Lluber

Noob
Reaction score
Considering getting rid of the choke lever on the bars and just running a plunger.

Have my stock carbs, will I need anything other then THIS plunger from mikes? Dust cover, or a knob or something to attach to it?

thanks guys
Luke~

Your bike has the varible postion slider type of choke.
The thumb lever at the perch is connected to the slide via a cable.
It allows you to close the choke gradually as the bike warms.

The earlier system uses the same plungers and brackets from the rod to the plungers as your later system. BUT the rod and the way it is held is different.
The rod has indents in it with a ball and spring to hold the position of the rod in full and half choke positions. XSJohn used to drill extra indents so instead of only full and half positions you had full, 3/4's, half and 1/4 positions. PIcs in my album (I think).

So to change yours you need the different rod, and some springs and balls.
The spring and balls can be had from grease zerts(gggGary's tip)
The rods come up on e-bay occasionally.

i prefer the knob instead of the handlebar choke lever. i have found members willing to swap my handlebar lever setups for the 80-81 knob setups. the 82-83 handlebar setup also has an additional bracket on the carb that the other setup doesn't need (which oddly enough is shown in the parts fiche but has no part number :wtf:).

i haven't tried the xsjohn mod of drilling extra detents in the rod. it wouldn't be difficult but full and half choke positions work well enough for me.

Back