choke gasket question

gravelman

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
howdy guys i have a 1972 xs2 with the stock carbs on as far as i know.mine has only one choke on left side if that helps with a rubber crosover tube to other side .now when itook carb apart for cleaning i took the choke housing off on the left side which had a gasket on that got torn .so i ordered one from 650 direct a 6hole gasket which
doesnt quite line up so i resd a little further and it says that 70 73 doesnt use a gasket which i guess would explain it i think but the bike did have one on it .so i dont know if the old owner modified a 6 hole to work or should i discard iam not going to worry about it if it shouldnt have one just wondered if anyone has had first hand experiance with this issue thanks in advance joe excuse my typing cheers joe

i rebiult a set of 38's off a 71 and it had a gasket. it was still good. so i left it alone.
If you dont make a gasket for it, run a straight edge on it and check for flat. if its flat, no gasket, if its not, gasket.

The schematic shows the gaskets BUT I think someone tagging the pics got the numbers wrong. For NOS ebay or finding it on a shelf somewhere maybe the only solution.
Included are pics of the schematic and the part number for the Gasket, starter.

Attachments

• choke gasket.jpg
    choke gasket.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 115
  • choke gasket a.jpg
    choke gasket a.jpg
    6.2 KB · Views: 96
Mikes spreads the same bogus info that there was no gasket there. I emailed him something like 5 years ago with the corrected info that there was a gasket and the number from the drawing weekendrider just posted and his attitude was basically that whatever book or site he's going by, it doesn't have that part number listed, therefore it never existed... and he's left that little bit of misinformation on there to this day.

thanks guys for the help like i said id did have a gasket but it did get destroyed but the little foor note from mikes threw me off i will try and hunt one down the 6 hole gasket mike sells is like so close but much thicker almost makes the casting stick out way to far once again thank u for taking the time researching for its always welcome joe

Back