choosing plug wires for my pamco ignition.

neanderthal

neanderthal
Reaction score
Ive decided to remove my points and put in a pamco with a dual high output coil. Im getting mixed reviews on the net about whether or not you have to run high tension wires. id love to run some vintage style copper center wires. Ive been told you can run these wires on some electronic ignitions and some you cant. anyone ever run these or have the knowledge to whether not they'd work. or leads to a vintage style cloth wire that would work?

http://4into1.com/lowbrow-customs-vintage-style-cloth-spark-plug-wire-set-yellow/

https://www.mikesxs.net/product/17-6903.html

neanderthal,

The description for the LowBrow wires does not specifically say they are OK for an electronic ignition, like the PAMCO. I have seen other similar that do specifically say OK for electronic ignitions, so look for those.

The problem with non electronic ignition wires is the voltage from the high output coils, like the 17-6903 is so high that it will arc right through the insulation to the tank, your leg and other conductive parts. The gas tank is not grounded, so the arcing will continue, especially if it is wet and rainy, to whatever is close to the tank, like your hands or balls :eek: and while it is arcing, you will lose power, so just imagine the scene as you are fixing to make a left turn in front of a beer truck on a rainy night with your balls on fire and the engine missing....:yikes: But, you'll look cool !! :thumbsup:

When you do find the right wires, you will need to use either resistor spark plug caps or resistor spark plugs, but not both. For that vintage look, use the caps that come with the wires and a resistor spark plug.

Last edited:
it's just about finding the outter material being made of silicone or rubber and is much thicker than your stadard wires. I also know because of the high voltage that these wires wear faster too. im down for a style i dig, nothing wrong with that...we all do it, but saftey first and that's why some of us ask questions. I dont want my balls to be shocked. not a pain for pleasure kind of guy.:eek: thanks for the speedy reply. :thumbsup:

I ordered direct from your site so i have your set up, does it require supression core wires? if not ive been told that those wire should work, thats what the i got as far as an email goes from 4into1. lowborws site say they will not work, but perhaps they are doing a blanket covering to protect all?

I run 7mm stranded copper wires with conventional caps and resistor plugs. I have the Dyna coil, which is not exactly a flame thrower, but is highly funftional, easy to install, and easily twice the energy of stock coils. Starts and runs like a dream. The issue with a lot of "vintage look" wires is they also have vintage construction as Pete points out, and don't have the significantly better insulation properties of a modern wire. Many are constructed with appearance and profit in mind ahead of functionality. These bikes never had cloth wrapped wires in the beginning, for instance, so unless you have a source for look alikes that are specific to high energy ignition, you may in fact take a step backwards with the wires yet forward with trigger and coil and find you have fabricated a problem the original machine never had. Modify wisely, and do your homework. I set mine up for reliability. I don't "do" the whole "the look" bit.

neanderthal,

I don't recommend suppression wires for several reasons. Use either resistor caps or resistor spark plugs with copper core wire. They do make those vintage look wires for electronic ignitions. You just have to do a search and find them. They will say specifically that they are OK for electronic ignitions.

Google or Ebay for Vintage spark plug wires.

I kinds like the old school look as well because I was around when that was the standard. I had a '52 flat head Ford with those wires. Got new ones at the Ford dealer and that's what they looked like right out of the box with the Ford logo on the box. Cool...:thumbsup:

cool man, sounds like i got all the information i need, and got an email today that the pamco sent out! looking forward to the new life the bike will have. what was the 52 flathead in? ive had a few 50's fairlanes a 54 plymouth some old f100's, but no flatheads yet. i will some day for sure though. just gotta finish up school and get some extra cash and build me a two door hotrod. thanks agian for sharing your knowledge.

-jake

Hey man, have you installed these wires yet? I have installed my Pamco and HHB PMA but still have not started the bike yet. I have decided to get a different coil so I want to see which wires to get. I have found many different 7mm wires but many don't say good for electronic ignitions. I have also no known if you need both resistor plugs and resistor caps..but it sounds like you can run both if you are using a hot coil such as the 17-6903.

Curious to see your results with these wires! I didn't know you can't use the suppression style wires..glad I saw that on this thread..I was going to pick those up.

Thanks

Back