Chopper Live: Road to revenge

hard_y_rd

XS650 Guru
Reaction score
I don't know if this thread has been started yet but i'll have to say that I can't believe that P.J.D won this again. It's bullshit. Anyone can build a bike in a box. I think people vote for him just to piss off Jesse James.
The Gas Monkey bike was pretty cool but probably not enough work put in it to win. I'm not sayin i'm a james fan but i think his should of won. He's pretty arrogant but probably put the most craftsmanship into it but couldn't make the dead line.
I'm pissed cause people still fall for the OCC shit. You would think with all the technology and tools they have they could build come decent bikes.
I just wasted 4Hrs of my life watching this. Just wanted to vent.

I watched it too, I wasn't impressed. Jesse is a dick who still wants to talk like a 16 year old valley girl. Paul and Paul Jr just put together bikes from pieces taken from the shelf, and didn't do anything different than they have 100 times before. The Gas monkey bike was more like the back yard builds that I like to see. I'd like to see a biker build off where the budget is limited and everyone has to finish on time.

IMHO.

Yeah...4 hours of my life I'll never have back. I'm a huge James fan, and thought his bike was pretty innovative. As far as deadlines go...do you really think that it wasnt set up that way from the beginning to make some drama for tv. Like all of a sudden Discovery is call the Hard Rock Las Vegas, and say "Uh, we can't make it, so just move eveything to 2 weeks from now." But that's another story all together.

And what's up with not announcing 3rd and 4th place? Very suspect to me..more "reality" (are you picking up the sarcasm?) TV bullshit.

So here is my opinion and ranking on the whole thing...

Paul Jr...Last Place. He made the same old big dumb theme bike that they always do. A fine piece of art, but hardly an innovative motorcycle. I think he has been doing bikes like that for so long, it's hard to think of anything else. Which is a shame because he is pretty talented.

Gas Monkeys...3rd place. A couple of TV doucebags for sure, got a little bit of talent, but they really didn't do anything that hasn't been done before. Thier biggest claim is that they have an original titled frame. Big deal. Overall, a clean and classic chopper. Even though I think it was a waste to chop an original 67' panhead.

Paul Sr...2nd Place. Pretty cool frame design, all cut from 1 piece of aluminum. I liked the split tank that flowed through the frame. Some really trick technology for the rear shock. This was a real departure from OCC's typical builds, at least the ones we normally see on tv. It looked like it had a nice sporty feel, but still seemed to have some "chopper" geometry, which sorta threw me off a little. Almost seemed like a Yamaha V-Maxx type of muscle bike.

Jesse James..1st Place. For me, it was pretty close between Jesse and Paul Sr. I think Jesse edged him out with his frame design and geometry. Finally, a Moto-GP/ World Superbike, with an American powerplant. Super cool how the motor just plugs into the frame and transmission case. And everything sort of rotates around that axis point. I would love to ride that bike. I wouldn't be at all surprised if Harley makes a small production run of a similar design.

So that's my take on it all. I hope it didn't bore everyone, and let's not make this thread a war. Everyone has their own opinion.

How about gettin an official pole goin on this thread too? I think it would be cool to see how everyone here would vote.

A bunch of prima-donna types with big heads. I'll come here, and other places, and look at the work of humble men of deep talent and shallow wallets. If I have a shop with 500K worth of metalworking tools in it, am I a craftsman or a tradesman? Either way, the lack of humility and over the top personalities is just way to nauseating for me. Can a couple of them build amazing stuff? Well, yea, but you ruin the beauty of the work with the ugliness of the personality you throw out. I don't think too much of Richard Rawlins, he's the mouthy "idea guy" that can't actually do shit, in my opinion, but the bike they brought was more like what I see people build here. More honest, more classy, and the only reasonably practical motorcycle in the pile.

I like watchin Fast N loud. Aron Kaufman's got some skills. Rawlin's the wallet for sure. Kaufman likes the camera a little too much though.
The shovel is definately the better daily driver. The bike Jesse and SR. built looked like those horses you see in the schoolyard with the coil springs attached to them. Awkward looking.

OK it sucked and there was only one CHOPPER on that stage. It was a chopper contest i think Jesse and Paul Sr signed up for that CAFE program and got lost and brought the wrong bikes. CHOPPERS not Cafe. Plus what a A hole to say that the Gas Monkey was not a chopper. Which bike up there had a title and could go threw inspection and ride everyday. I met both Jesse and Paul Sr and Jesse was cool talked to me for about 20 mins on older bikes and Drag racing at Indain Larry memorial so to me he does know his shit. Talked to Paul Sr at a show i was at with my bikes and he was just a A hole who made alot of money and ran out of the show when a couple guys from the 81 started to make fun of him. I knew the guy that built that CB750 that they threw off the roof and he said all Jap choppers are pieces of shit theres only one chopper a Harley WRONG ASSHOLE. You miss the whole point voters are yup non riders that just wannabe bikers. I would have put a grand on it that Paul Jr won if there were odds in vegas. I new Gas Monkey didn't win because the guy with the beard was at sema and no beard and that was two months ago so he had to shave it off that was the bet. Jesse is a remarkable builder but i think HOLLYWOOD got to him and his cars that they build are nice. Biker Build offs are dead. OCC will be out of buisness in two years people only had bikes built for TV spot great advertisement. Would you go pay $150,000.00 for a build that is not getting on TV. Advertisement on TV is big bucks. I watched it but would have loved to see what happened at the motel and it wasn't live because that lil dude didn't grow a full beard in two months. He had no beard and was part of a team with Chip Foose. So now what was a rip off.

I would have never guessed that the "build off" was anything less than a promotional production, with a pre-determined destiny. I think they are building scripts from wrestling, the original homo-erotic soap opera. All the name calling, mailing each other insulting shit, and all that. If that's what it's like to be at that level, count me out of the big leagues. What a bunch of bitches. I can't decide if they spend all that time pumping thier arms (only) up with weights so thier tats look good in sleeveless shirts, or if they just get that way standing in front of a mirror beating off because you are so in love with yourself! Wasted time.

A bunch of prima-donna types with big heads. I'll come here, and other places, and look at the work of humble men of deep talent and shallow wallets. If I have a shop with 500K worth of metalworking tools in it, am I a craftsman or a tradesman? Either way, the lack of humility and over the top personalities is just way to nauseating for me. Can a couple of them build amazing stuff? Well, yea, but you ruin the beauty of the work with the ugliness of the personality you throw out. I don't think too much of Richard Rawlins, he's the mouthy "idea guy" that can't actually do shit, in my opinion, but the bike they brought was more like what I see people build here. More honest, more classy, and the only reasonably practical motorcycle in the pile.

:thumbsup: :bike:

It wasn't really a chopper, but I liked Sr's bike. I'd ride it. The Gas monkey bike was nice too. I'd change the pink to a dark metallic blue and get some of the front suspension back. Jr's bike looked like a lot of the other bikes he builds... same stance and huge front tire. Jesse's bike was innovative, but ugly. If it had better styling I would have like it more.

... As far as deadlines go...do you really think that it wasnt set up that way from the beginning to make some drama for tv. Like all of a sudden Discovery is call the Hard Rock Las Vegas, and say "Uh, we can't make it, so just move eveything to 2 weeks from now." ...

I don't think that was all fake. They made it sound like the live show was scheduled 12 weeks out so Jesse knew he really had 12 weeks to get it done. :shrug:

If you get to see the chip foose show from sema( I think it was a chevy they built for a pastor) They interduce all the guys that worked on the car and they say the Gas Monkey Arrons name and i didn't even reconize him without a beard then i knew the biker build off was a fake and allready in the can. There is no way that you can grow a beard that long in two months. It was way too staged for the show and way to much bleeping but you can read lips to know the F bomb was said. Sr and Jesse are buddies he just built him a car and did you see the way jesse and Jr were kidding around.

Maybe now the real CHOPPER BUILDERS around will be able to get some credit. Not these hacks. I always said and will still stand behind it. I love to look at the backyard builders Bikes better than the big money shops. There are way too many super nice bikes built out of a house or small garage because the passion of the build is there and the money gain is not.
MERRY CHRISTMAS
KEEP CHOPPIN

I watched it and was kinda disappointed. It was so overly faked up to build more suspense but ended up coming off like an episode of "Jersey Shore". I really wish they dedicated more time to the the bikes themselves. Good example, it was not even mentioned that the Gas Monkey bike was a suicide shifter with a foot clutch. I know that it is not a huge modification but none of those things where mentioned on really any of the bikes.

SR's bike - Yes you have a cnc machine. Good for you. I would love to see more time designing something and not just plugging a basic idea into a computer and hit print. I did like the rear shock but it is not a chopper! The front springer was a good idea but did not look good on that bike.

JR's bike - I love seeing a car themed bike that does not look like total crap! But again very cookie cutter. I do like the exhaust and the rear fender but not a fan of the bars but it fits the bike.

Jesse James - If anyone was unsure about you being an asshole rest assured they know now. That said, he is an incredible craftsman! Love the bike, HATE the wheels! Not a chopper and if you miss the deadline you are out. If you don't care enough about the build to make the deadline DO NOT PARTICIPATE!

GMG - LOVE the bike. I can even handle the pink paint job. Love the build all around but am disappointed they didn't go bigger. This a build off of the best in the business and they went with a safe build. It is a shame they chopped that '67 but it was great to see a bike that runs and someone actually ride it not use it as art.

Watched the first season of OCC when i got pay TV on that year and thought the bike building was interesting and talented. The second season when the family dynamics played more of a part of the show than the building turned me off and i never watched any of that TV ratings driven crap ever again.

To appeal to the masses and have them watch abusive fathers treat their children and workers like that on TV, weather it is ratings driven or not, is considered abuse and if an employer treated any person like that they would be taken to court and sued. people like Paul snr are bullies of the worst kind. Haven't watched any others like Jessie James as i wouldn't wast my time because a TV ratings driven program on these lines are chopped and sliced to add drama and takes away from what the show should be about, talent and invigorating ideas.

I know there's a lot of nuttiness with the father/son stuff on OCC, and I get that the whole build off thing was crap.

However, it was exactly these shows that first piqued my interest in wrenching bikes. I do credit them with making it seem like something I could at least dabble in. I'm no pro, but I now love my time with this machinery and for that I think the American Chopper series is great.

As for Jesse... isn't he, like, a grown man? His aggressive and abrasive actions toward the other contestants to me just highlight what I assume to be his own insecurities. I felt like telling him to grow up because it really detracted from the great work of which he's capable.

If you get to see the chip foose show from sema( I think it was a chevy they built for a pastor) They interduce all the guys that worked on the car and they say the Gas Monkey Arrons name and i didn't even reconize him without a beard then i knew the biker build off was a fake and allready in the can. There is no way that you can grow a beard that long in two months.

You do realize that was an old show.....

The "Gas Monkey" guys were "on the scene" and had ties to Discovery and TLC as far back as 2005......but then they kinda stepped on their dick and got some bad press and Discover/TLC cut all ties with them.

http://spankmymarketer.com/summary.html

Richard Rawlings, the Anti-Christ, of the hot rod world.....lol.

http://spankmymarketer.com/video.html

The show i am talking about is the new series of car rebuilds from chip fooze and a team of guys that were just at the 2012 sema show. Now that could have been tapped too but just thought it was funny that a couple weeks after they announce the biker build off of the 4 of them I think it was end of oct 2012 do i see this program and that lil guy has no beard. Somewhere i read it was JR first Gas Monkey 2nd Sr third and Jesse 4th but it was just all wierd. I think Discovery is pulling the plug because of all the law suits that are still going on with Sr. I got to see and work on one of his original bike builds and a guy in Statenisland still owns it and it was a nice bike. Nice clean chopper with S&S motor and stock trans. ran its ass off. There was a Jesse James chopper in Fl for sale on Ebay and only drew $18,000 big let down from the $150,000 he claims he gets. There were two billy lane bikes and they drew more. There is just no way you can put that kind of money in a bike. Jesse has always been tied to clubs so i guess he can act like a bad ass got the backup. Club dumped the shit in the gas monkey driveway. I just wanted more chopper close to street rideablity bikes. Not a frame made in a cnc machine which we all own and have in our garage. If i had to vote on the bikes i would have by the rules Gas Monkey first CLEAN BUILD Paul Jr second was much better than last year and it had style Jesse third it was a cafe but you did build it with less machines and Paul Sr fourth CNC built and again CAFE not Chopper and did any of you tech geeks like me see the front trail looked weird.Lets see what the next show they come up with.

Who cares if it was a chopper, cafe, bobber whatever. I'm sure the discovery channel didn't know the difference.
It should of came down to who built the best bike not the shitty public on twitter voting. I'm sick of these stupid reality shows where the public votes and goes for their favorite jackass. I thought that maybe this program wouldn't stoop to that level. Boy, was I wrong.

Posted via Mobile

Who cares if it was a chopper, cafe, bobber whatever. I'm sure the discovery channel didn't know the difference.
It should of came down to who built the best bike not the shitty public on twitter voting. I'm sick of these stupid reality shows where the public votes and goes for their favorite jackass. I thought that maybe this program wouldn't stoop to that level. Boy, was I wrong.

Posted via Mobile

I bet if those bikes were in a crate on stage and 2 different votes were taken before the public seen them, the outcome would be the same.

Posted via Mobile

the slabside shovel that gas monkey built is bad ass the only thing i liked that's pink b4 see'n that bike was pussy and nipples! i liked the cafe made buy jesse but the one done by Sr just looked wrong he should have built a 70's long chop and jr built the same old PJD crap we've seen time and time again. i did like the paint, flat with pinstripes is a great look when done rite. i wish they would make them ride to it cuz rolling art is not a motorcycle or chopper. I liked gas monkeys bike more then any of the others but thats me

I don't think too much of Richard Rawlins, he's the mouthy "idea guy" that can't actually do shit, in my opinion, but the bike they brought was more like what I see people build here. More honest, more classy, and the only reasonably practical motorcycle in the pile.

I don't think too much of Richard Rawlins, he's the mouthy "idea guy" that can't actually do shit, in my opinion, but the bike they brought was more like what I see people build here. More honest, more classy, and the only reasonably practical motorcycle in the pile.

To be fair, the competition is for the title of "ultimate builder". There isn't a bike in the bunch I could live with as a rider. And I doubt like hell that any of them did much hands on, just let the shop handle it. Kinda like a good work of art, these bikes, just hang them on the wall, it's all they're really good for.

Back