On The Road to Nowhere

Mailman

Hardly a Guru
Top Contributor
Reaction score
My first outing of the early fall season here in Phoenix! Hazah! One hundred degree temps have hung on here like a hair on a biscuit! But over the weekend a cold front pushed in from the Pacific Northwest and brought MUCH cooler temperatures and rain , and just like that we went from summer to fall here. A sunny 72 degrees and I was dying to get out of the house! My recent move put me up on the absolute edge of the city limits and now rides into the great wide open are just a stones throw away. So without further ado, let’s go!

The Sun Valley Parkway, locally known around here as the road to nowhere. Did you think I just made that up? Back in the 1980’s a local real estate developer, and later convicted felon Charles Keating, was buying up huge swaths of land and building sprawling planned communities in the desert southwest outside of Phoenix.

Phoenix is a huge flat valley ringed by mountain ranges. To the far west, Phoenix dead ends against one of these mountain ranges, the White Tank Mountains. In the 1980’s , Keating bought most of the land that was on THE OTHER SIDE of the White Tank Mountains. This was just open desert with not even a road to get to any of it. So Keating built this massive four lane divided highway with his own money.
528B0F2F-4D82-4793-B8B8-5F92CBC8C19E.jpeg

NOT.......
Forty years later it is still a 35 mile long road to nowhere. An area that was once projected to have a population of OVER A MILLION PEOPLE!!!! If you can believe that, presently has one struggling housing development. It’s just too isolated. But it sure is pretty out there.

The road starts here.....really....a riverboat in the desert.
0C3C3E43-EB44-4159-8DF9-4ECAC8D3B21D.jpeg

At least it looks like a riverboat. Built over forty years ago in the middle of nowhere, it has been many things over the years, but for now at least, it is a bingo hall for the geriatric set.
C’mon..the road to nowhere starts just over that rise.
37A9EB3F-43C8-44A2-98A2-B5E814DD4E3E.jpeg
6E74B276-7727-48DC-9D64-4C243214A610.jpeg
33CFB642-7E64-4F9C-B673-6A99AEC8C1E4.jpeg
5637C9EF-36D7-4650-B9AB-AD7AAD030963.jpeg
092B829E-288A-470B-A144-2F4AA71DBDD3.jpeg
921D5197-3847-4182-B277-F909A49E6BA4.jpeg
63CB5188-2B6A-4A6D-A57C-242EB6472126.jpeg
D72893FD-ED00-4373-9A72-385419D2511A.jpeg

It could just not be any better out today. On this road, you rarely see another car, usually just a few motorcycles out for a joy ride. The police always seem to know the popular motorcycling roads and set up radar traps.
I am deep in Saguaro cactus country.
A9FA7BA2-61A1-451C-886F-37D031F668F1.jpeg

These guys behind me are nearly 30 feet tall and could very well be over a century old.
D2DE3980-AA26-471E-AC60-030E46632FFF.jpeg

Some interesting notes about Saguaros, they are protected by law and you are not allowed to dig one up.
You can buy them from licensed dealers for about $100 for every foot of height, and if they have any arms at all the price goes up. If a real estate development has to remove any, they must carefully dig them up and transplant them ( usually somewhere in the development as an accent plant, because they are so uniquely South West) and when they dig them up, they must note the direction the cactus is facing, because they are sensitive to this. The side that has always faced the sun will be thicker and tougher than the Northern exposure and if they are not careful about the orientation , the transplanted cactus can get sunburned and die!
Recent rains have brought out some early wild flowers. In a few months, this road will be a riot of color. I’ll come back and take some wild flower photos.
B9D5B6A1-4332-4C43-8A80-C4AF0E3567FC.jpeg

EB488BDF-DECC-42EE-8C06-2454E9540633.jpeg
6C47C349-3F62-4FAA-B577-9861653B94CC.jpeg

Heading back now.
97D78CC9-D639-4A73-9B40-5B367343BDB7.jpeg

It turns out that the road to nowhere leads somewhere after all......it leads to lunch!
2F3D58E6-B4F6-45EE-BACB-0FFAF2049102.jpeg

Till next time,
Bob ( happy to be back in the wind) :bike:

Fabulous ride and pics Bob! Thanks for sharing them. What beautiful countryside. And wow, those cloud formations are stunning.
So great to see you getting some time back in the saddle again.

Good looking lunch too! :D

Keep em coming buddy!

Fabulous ride and pics Bob! Thanks for sharing them. What beautiful countryside. And wow, those cloud formations are stunning.
So great to see you getting some time back in the saddle again.

Good looking lunch too! :D

Keep em coming buddy!

Thanks Robin, between all the activity surrounding my recent move and trying to get settled it’s been too long since my last ride. And now I live in an area where I can almost immediately be off into open country and go exploring. It’s so nice! I’m looking foward to getting out more.

Thanks Meddy!
That road was mostly just open space, something Arizona has a lot of. Next outing I’ll try to find more to look at. Haha! :laugh2:

And now I live in an area where I can almost immediately be off into open country and go exploring.
That just makes me jealous.... Pick any compass point... I got nuttin' but red lights and interstates....:(
Excellent pics Bob!!

Love the pics, especially the black n white! I`ve been racking my brain to choose a spot/background to take some pics of the scrambler for the calendar vote but all i`ve got here in KS is plowed fields.:( Might have to go to AZ to get some good pics.:shrug:

That just makes me jealous.... Pick any compass point... I got nuttin' but red lights and interstates....:(
Excellent pics Bob!!

Thanks Jim,
I was a little worried that my photos wouldn’t have enough subject matter, it’s basically just wide open space, and sometimes cameras don’t capture that well. I really enjoy being able to see 40-50 miles unobstructed. I love my new location. I am so much closer to good riding and less traffic.

Love the pics, especially the black n white!
Might have to go to AZ to get some good pics.:shrug:

Thanks! Yeah I like the black and white also, they just look more dramatic, and I know what you mean about Kansas. If you like flat land and corn fields , Kansas has you covered!
C’mon down, everyone is welcome in Arizona!
When you get tired of the cold and snow c’mon over and we’ll go riding!

Bob,
How far is "Nowhere" from Oro Valley? A friend of mine (an astronomer) lives near there, and told me once about a place he goes with his telescope that was a failed community, speculation property, where there's blocks (and miles) of nothing but nothing. Could that be the same place?

Hey Tebo,
Oro Valley is a suburb of Tucson and is almost 150 south of me. Beautiful , mountainous and open country down there.

Nice Pics Mailman. I used to live on the edge of nowhere,30 years ago, now its just houses for miles. I do envy your location this time of year, but summers not so much, too hot.

Kiwi,
It surely does get hot here. Up until a week ago it was still over 100 degrees every day.

Meddy,
Those photos look like they could’ve been taken right here in Arizona! Fewer Roos here tho!
5C64F297-B7FD-44C7-8910-824D65C54FB1.jpeg

But you do have to watch out for packs of Jackelopes!
08D6E455-4B2E-4634-9516-5356E57259E5.jpeg

Nice Bob.........Thanks. ........Getting some great shots. Nicely structured.........First black and white is powerful..........Black mirrors and the right one bang smack in the middle of the pic and the tower......love it

You got me jealous Bob...
Did get a comfortable 80 miles on Madness today but the clock is ticking.

Are you making the trek to Arizona this year Gary? That trip is about horses not motorcycles correct?

Nice Bob.........Thanks. ........Getting some great shots. Nicely structured.........First black and white is powerful..........Black mirrors and the right one bang smack in the middle of the pic and the tower......love it

Thanks, I do try to think about composition. I take a lot of photos and discard most of them. Smartphones just make it ridiculously easy to take nice photos. They can make even a hack like me look good. I am using an IPhone 6, the built in photo editing software allows you to save some good photos that otherwise had the lighting out of balance. You can adjust the balance on everything, light, color, contrast , you name it. As for the black and white photos, the phone has not one but three variations on it. The option that always seems to garner the most comments is called Noir. It makes the dark parts more black and the contrast more stark. I sometimes then play with the light balance. If there are clouds in the photo you can really make them pop.
For example,
C02B1D26-25D8-44B4-B4D3-3AE3A95BE5C2.jpeg
1ADBA16C-4E81-45E6-A1FB-E1463CAE67AB.jpeg
3D1DD0AA-1EB4-4537-A460-C3BF24E8D19F.jpeg

I also really like to take perspective photos, such as that bridge, or towers or a road where they look large in the foreground and shrink away into the distance. Anyways, thanks for the nice comments, I have been having fun learning.

"...a hack like me..." Bob? Really? You have to have an eye for photography, to be taking pictures like this, even with an IPhone. Once upon a time, when dinosaurs ruled the earth, I did art with a film camera (35mm). What you couldn't do "in-camera", you did in the darkroom. But it was still YOU in charge. Keep these awesome pictures coming! :rock:

Back