Clamps, which ones do you use?

Wingedwheel

If it wasn’t broke before, let me try it…
Top Contributor
Reaction score
I absolutely hate the hose clamps I’m using. I was about to pull my petcocks apart because I thought they were leaking internally. I put my finger over the barb and turned them on and disproved that though. What appears to be happening is the clamp I’m using has developed a “barb” which is gouging the hose. I also think that even though these are small they are too wide. What does everyone else use? I’m not a fan of factory style squeeze clamps. 8EC1DC23-6D05-45CE-92FA-35141AE0DE63.jpeg

I use the original wire loop type "clamps" on original thin wall type fuel line. These clamps don't apply lots of pressure but obviously it's enough to keep the lines in place. I've never had one come loose or leak .....

Finished.jpg

This smaller O.D. line (compared to normal 1/4" line) also allows use of the original anti-kink protection springs. You can get this line in bulk 25' rolls from YamahaXS650.com. It's reasonably priced and wonderful stuff.

https://yamahaxs650.com/product/black-rubber-fuel-line-1-4-x-25/

I use these, My local auto stores have them. Fuel injection hose clamps. They come in all sizes. They do not corrode or chew on the hose. I cut the screws shorter and orient them so that the screw doesn't show as much. Most are nice and shiny too
1665709643651.png

1665709643651.png

1665743969932.png

The good ones are stainless steel.
Originally made by a British company; Milocore? something like that
Not always easy to find and when last bought about 50 cents each, they are my goto.

I use the original wire loop type "clamps" on original thin wall type fuel line. These clamps don't apply lots of pressure but obviously it's enough to keep the lines in place. I've never had one come loose or leak .....

View attachment 227597

This smaller O.D. line (compared to normal 1/4" line) also allows use of the original anti-kink protection springs. You can get this line in bulk 25' rolls from YamahaXS650.com. It's reasonably priced and wonderful stuff.

https://yamahaxs650.com/product/black-rubber-fuel-line-1-4-x-25/
I'm rocking it the same way. I replaced that line with yellow Tygon from the local NAPA while at the Ozark Rally. The same wire clamps fit fine. My XS1100 has Motion Pro Premium fuel line with slightly larger wire clamps. More years have gone by than I can remember. No leaks.

I tried the FE clamps suggested by mrtwowheel but unless I used too big or my line is not thick enough that was a fail. I am still getting a touch of gas seepage around the end of the line. I’m going to try Gary’s clamps next once I locate those. I seem to remember a post a while back and 2M mentioned a fuel line he was using that didn’t require a clamp. Anybody remember that post?

I use black zip ties that are about 1/16" wide. Ultimate in functionality I think. Grab the end with pliers and use another pliers unsqueezed to block the part you pull against. To get it off, just cut the part you pull against with some kind of cutter. This summer I was fixing my neighbor's lawnmower and the kit came with clamps like 4G's but sheet instead of wire. I was surprised how well they worked.

View attachment 227642
The good ones are stainless steel.
Originally made by a British company; Milocore? something like that
Not always easy to find and when last bought about 50 cents each, they are my goto.
I too use these double wire hose clamps. Never had a leak with them. Single wire are ok if the hose to barb fit is ideal. Around here I had to special order them and they are expensive - $.75 to $1.00 each.

Just did what I should have done in the first place. Hit up Amazon. I wish you could buy only the size you need and If I had searched harder I might have been able to narrow it down but I had a $20 credit on there and that’s what I dropped on these and the tygon line. I actually have a special set of pliers for these clamps also.image.jpg

Last edited:
Back