Cleaning exhaust residue..

TeeCat

One-Mik Wonder
Reaction score
Hi, guys...

This particular question isn't directly related to my TX, but could be. In this instance it's a cleaning question that relates to my '05 Ninja 250R:

I have Supertrapp cans on this bike - the sort that have the disks and end caps. Consequently, as part of their design, exhaust exits circumferentially around the end cap. This is a very efficient, practical, tunable system. The one drawback, however, is that over time, anything that's next to the cans within a few inches, such as painted or powder coated swingarms, brake calipers, etc., tend to accumulate brownish exhaust residue, which is a bit unsightly.

I'm not quite sure if the swingarm and rear caliper are painted or powder coated, but was wondering if anyone might have any suggestions for cleaning this sort of material without doing damage to the finish(es). I have not experimented just yet because I thought someone on here might have something they have had success with.

Cheers!

TC

Hi, guys...

This particular question isn't directly related to my TX, but could be. In this instance it's a cleaning question that relates to my '05 Ninja 250R:

I have Supertrapp cans on this bike - the sort that have the disks and end caps. Consequently, as part of their design, exhaust exits circumferentially around the end cap. This is a very efficient, practical, tunable system. The one drawback, however, is that over time, anything that's next to the cans within a few inches, such as painted or powder coated swingarms, brake calipers, etc., tend to accumulate brownish exhaust residue, which is a bit unsightly.

I'm not quite sure if the swingarm and rear caliper are painted or powder coated, but was wondering if anyone might have any suggestions for cleaning this sort of material without doing damage to the finish(es). I have not experimented just yet because I thought someone on here might have something they have had success with.

Cheers!

TC

50/50 ammonia and water works well on corbon deposits.

Ah, thanks, gents!! I didn't know that about ammonia, and I do have some kerosene. And I'm sure that carbon deposits are what we're talking about here. I'll try that... thanks! :)

twins... great idea about the deflector! I guess I never knew that there was a mechanical solution to this problem... I might have to look into a pair of those!

As usual here... glad I asked the question! :)

TC

Ah, thanks, gents!! I didn't know that about ammonia, and I do have some kerosene. And I'm sure that carbon deposits are what we're talking about here. I'll try that... thanks! :)

twins... great idea about the deflector! I guess I never knew that there was a mechanical solution to this problem... I might have to look into a pair of those!

As usual here... glad I asked the question! :)

TC

Ammonia is a preferred cleaner for removing carbon deposits and burned engine oil from areas inside turbine engines where oil and combustion deposits are not supposed to be.

Well, it seems I'll get to use everyone's suggestions. I'll clean up with the ammonia and water first, I suppose, and I did order a pair of the heat deflectors... they'll be worth it, I think. Should receive those on Thursday.

Thanks again, guys. :)

TC

So, the ammonia/water solution really does work nicely. :) My Ninja 250R's swingarm looks factory new now. The end caps on the cans are a bit more stubborn, but I just used a rag so far... maybe a bit of Scotchbright or 0000 wool will work on the non-painted areas. Exhaust shields should be here today so I'll put those on and minimize the mess from here on out.

Thanks again for the tips, guys!

TC

You might try metal polish (Mother's) on the end caps. They're usually aluminum or stainless. I'd use the steel wool or Scotchbrite as a last resort. It might scratch them.

Good thought, twins... I happen to have some Mother's very mild cleaner that I'll try first. Shields are here... will put them on tomorrow. Nice looking product, and a good idea that I didn't know about til you mentioned it. :)

TC

Back