cleaning my bs34's

kickstart

XS650 Member
Reaction score
After sitting 20+ years I pulled the carbs off my 83 to clean them. The float valves were practically welded together with gunk. The float pins are junk, so I ordered a new set from Mike's. Cleaned everything else "except" removing and cleaning the fuel screw (the part you gotta drill the cap to get to). The reason I haven't is because your all scaring me with the parts stores on these carbs! Lol. So here's the questionn wait and see if it works ok or am I begging for trouble... (my objective is trying to keep this bike as close to factory issue as possible).... :shrug:

Posted via Mobile

Thanks, I'll get the caps off for adjusting... but should I remove the screw and clean in that area? That's the part I'm nervous about....

Posted via Mobile

I remove the screw and clean in that area? That's the part I'm nervous about....

Posted via Mobile

To adjust the mix you will have to turn the screw and if you can turn the screw, going on and getting it out should be no problem. It sounds like your carbs are really dirty so it's probably not a bad idea to do this.

You're going to want a very good screwdriver that fits exactly, else the screw slot (shallow and brass) is liable to strip. If the screw didn't turn pretty effortlessly immediately I would probably put pb blaster in the tower and let it sit for days. I think exact replacement screws are hard to find, as are good needles and seats. Reuse what you can.

Welllll crap! I'm sure your all correct, going to start tearing into it tonight... thanks for the advice and wish me luck! Will follow up with findings after I Finnish. .. expecting parts to arrived in a day or two.....

Posted via Mobile

Back