Clearcoat on aluminium

72XS2

XS650 Addict
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
Does anybody already try to put clearcoat on aluminium polish parts? After polishing my parts, I was thinking about having them chrome plated. This way, it would be a lot easier to keep them shiny. I went to a chrome shop this afternoon with my parts to have an estimation of the price. About 800$ just for aluminium parts. I was thinking that if it's possible to put a clearcoat to protect them, I could use this money for other parts. So, if someone here have a solution, I would like to hear it. Thanks!

You can get the parts powdercoated with a clear powder. I don't know how much of a shine it would have compared to the bare aluminum, but I'm betting a good local shop would do it a lot cheaper than $800 depending on how many parts you've got. I've gotten my frame, swingarm, crash bar, battery box, headlight assembly, chain guard, and just about every other piece of aluminum on my bike (besides the engine) powdercoated by my local guy and all in all I've probably spent about $700. It will protect a lot better against the elements than chrome, too. Easier to maintain but again, I don't know how it would look.

IMO it's better to maintain the polish than clear coat. Clear coats take away from the shine and seem to yellow/dull/flake over time.

I'm interested in hearing other options though!

Skip the mothers and use a real metal polishing product like Wenol or Top Brite!

Clearing WILL take away some shine. After it's wetsanded to 2000ish grit and buffed with compound and buffing wheels it's really easy to clean and maintain it's mirror like shine.

Back