clip-on handlebars

smiles79

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
So I'm thinking about putting some clip-ons on my '75 xs650. For those of you that have done it:

Using the stock controls, did you use the stock wiring to the controls, stock throttle cable (mikuni vm34s), stock brake lines, etc (length I guess is what I'm concerned about)?

What size clip-ons do I need for a 75?

How comfortable are they?

Thanks in advance!

Hi smiles,
the cables and hoses will snake about a bit but they'll still work OK.
They did on my Heritage anyway after I swapped out the stock rototiller bars for Euros.
'75s should have 34mm fork tubes.
If you are old and fat like me they ain't comfortable at all.
After a week with the Eurobars I swapped them for taller ones.
Another reason not to crop the controls to suit clip-ons, you might change your mind about having them.

Hi Fazz,
you gotta remove the upper 'tree to install the Mostyn 'tree in it's place, eh?
Then the headlight ears will lift off so you won't need to cut them.
May as well lift off the lower 'tree's chrome trim piece too as the headlight ear tubes are what holds it down.
Carefully save all those parts that get removed, especially the eff nigh unfindable rubber & the chrome rings that retain and cushion the ears, for parts trading or in case you change your mind and decide to put it all back to standard.
Look at MikesXS fancy cast headlight ears to hold the lamp shell on.

Thanks for the info Fred!

Think I may order that top yoke today, I shouldn't need to remove the whole upper tree as this is just a top yoke, right?

Looking at these headlight brackets from Mike's. I like that these have rubber inserts.

http://www.mikesxs.net/product/09-0012.html

May order all of this stuff today. I have a shorter clutch cable that I can install which came with the bike. Not sure how big of a job that is, never done it before.

Hi Fazz,
What they call the "top yoke" IS the whole upper 'tree.
It's the same as the stock part minus the holes for the handlebar mounts.

Ahh ok, makes sense. I'm gonna go for this. Wanted a full R6 frontend but this will do for now.

Sorry for the thread jack OP. Figured this is relevant information for you as well.

Thanks! The PO put longer ones on with the apes that he put on the bike, so I think I'll just buy some stock cables and such. Just reading through your guys' responses, it looks like some other things need to get replaced to fit the clip-ons on the bike. Could someone explain this to me please?

Clip-ons won't fit with the stock headlight ears as there's nowhere to clamp them on above the ears. With aftermarket ears you can mount the headlight further down on the front fork and theres a spot under the tree to mount them. From my understanding at least.

So if you go the clip-on route you will need a set of headlight ears at the very least, and I wanted to get that aftermarket top tree to clean things up. The cables will obviously be longer as well since the bars will be significantly lower so that's why I said I was going to switch to a shorter cable because I have one laying around. If I didn't, I'm sure it would still work with the existing cables but there would just be a good bit more slack.

I thought about the clip ons myself. I didn't see much on ebay in the way of used bars. Lots of new ones though.
jefft

Had to re route some but the stock length cables worked for me. I've been happy with my clip-ons. New from ebay. Not quite as comfortable a riding position I'll admit....but she looks bad ass. very aggressive stance.

Attachments

• 20140626_092315.jpg
    20140626_092315.jpg
    153.9 KB · Views: 969
Wow that looks awesome! Probably will look silly with my stock gauges though. Man I would really like to find a nice small digital display gauge for speedo and tach. That would be a great solution for clip-ons / aftermarket top tree.

Thanks! The PO put longer ones on with the apes that he put on the bike, so I think I'll just buy some stock cables and such. Just reading through your guys' responses, it looks like some other things need to get replaced to fit the clip-ons on the bike. Could someone explain this to me please?

Hi smiles,
reading through this thread again and had a thought:-
The easiest way to fit clip-ons is to slacken the 'tree bolts that hold the fork tubes in place and ease the fork tubes up through them just enough that the clip-ons will fit on the end of the fork tube on top of the upper 'tree.
This will also slightly reduce the steering trail which in turn will quicken the steering which will modify the handling to match the clip-on's sporty stance.

Low bars with stock pegs absolutely suck! With clipons or clubmans, rearsets are a must, if you plan on riding any distance. "Cool" and "Rad" do not count at all. Function, and some degree of comfort does. Unless we are talking about urban posers, of course.

Low bars with stock pegs absolutely suck! With clipons or clubmans, rearsets are a must, if you plan on riding any distance. "Cool" and "Rad" do not count at all. Function, and some degree of comfort does. Unless we are talking about urban posers, of course.

I wonder if this is more of a size issue than an absolute. I've got stock pegs on mine with a clubman bar and it's still comfortable enough for a couple hours at a time. I'm 6 foot with a long torso and long arms though, plus my seat sits higher than the thin cafe seats that sit right on the frame tubes. The factory pegs are pretty much right under my center of gravity. That being said, I can't imagine trying to put clip ons on my bike as the thing is so tiny under me I need the extra reach from the clubman bar.

I wonder if this is more of a size issue than an absolute. I've got stock pegs on mine with a clubman bar and it's still comfortable enough for a couple hours at a time. I'm 6 foot with a long torso and long arms though, plus my seat sits higher than the thin cafe seats that sit right on the frame tubes. The factory pegs are pretty much right under my center of gravity. That being said, I can't imagine trying to put clip ons on my bike as the thing is so tiny under me I need the extra reach from the clubman bar.
Preach on brother im 6 foor n 220 lbs. Ima big boy n stock pegs n clubman do great for me as well

Back