Clutch Adjustment

littlebill31

Smells of Raw Fuel
Reaction score
Ok, it's me again. Trying to figure this out. I want to check and adjust the clutch, but just can't get it right in my head. First, which way loosens? Do I turn the adjuster towards the rear of the bike or towards the front? In the pic, is it #1 or #2?
Second, the adjuster turns, but the threaded end (#3) does not. How should it work. I'm a visual learner
Thanks again all!

Attachments

• clutch1.jpg
    clutch1.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 159
  • clutch perch screw.jpg
    clutch perch screw.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 135
That set up is a little different than mine but the big wheel should be the lock down. Back that out from the perch, counterclockwise. Then you should be able to unscrew the inner threaded section to loosen the cable.

It is different than mine also. But to adjust the clutch you want as much slack in
the cable as possible. After you adjust it you want a gap 2-3mm between the perch and the handle.

I'd get that monstrosity out of there and replace it with the proper adjuster. That looks like someone's homemade fix. Mike sells the right one for $2, part #08-0067. And when you adjust your clutch, there's a bit more to it than just that cable adjuster at the handlebar. There's one in the left side cover that should be set as well, 1st actually. Then you finish with the one on the bar.

Thanks all. I ordered a new perch and cable from Mikes. The cable end, mirror screw hole, and adjuster wheel are all boogered up. I was just unsure about how it worked. I understand the 2 step adjustment process, but the perch and cable were throwing me off. Couldn't wrap my head around it. I need to adjust it. The clutch slips when I shift into 2nd and roll on the throttle. You only need to touch the lever for the clutch to start engaging. It's not bad when you are just scooting, but if you are going thru the gears fast, 2nd slips bad.
Thanks again to all!!!

Back