Clutch cable slack.

lassenc

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hello

When I adjust the clutch cable slack on a cold engine, it will change drastically when reaching operating temperature, it will go from ~3mm. to ~8mm.

It seems excessive to me, what do you reckon?

Does it pull very easily. It sounds like you might have a loose clutch, clutch spring, or very weak clutch springs. Did you install the clutch or inspect the clutch at all yet? If you haven't i would recommend popping off that right case cover and taking a look. The difference between cold and hot clutch free play should be close to none.

The clutch is not light per say, but works as intended. No inspection done.

Well it's time to take a look than. It could be that you have a warped needle or thrust bearing behind the clutch that is causing this. It could also be that your needle bearing is not sitting flat against the back side of your clutch basket. Keep your washers in order.

Actually, that's a very common problem on these bikes. The alloy cases expand more than the steel pushrods and excessive freeplay at the lever when hot is the result. I set my freeplay to almost zero when cold and then it develops more as it heats up - but not too much to the point of the clutch not operating properly.

Back