Clutch Cover Question (with pic)

501Spanky

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Putting the engine back together and was wondering if it is normal to have some scoring on the inside of the clutch cover? See pic for detail.

The bike is an '83 with only 20,000 km on it. I bought it from a friend and it hadn't run in a few years. The usual varnish, etc...

Thanks for any input!

ClutchCover.jpg

Something is wrong with your clutch. Something is bent, loose, worn or otherwise moving in ways it shouldn't. Have someone rotate the crank while pulling in the clutch and look for whatever is sticking out the farthest.

My 78 SE had the same marks on inside of my cover. It would seem that the clearances are very tiny, and these marks may be more common than we know. If your clutch is working OK then nothing to be concerned about.

My 78 SE had the same marks on inside of my cover. It would seem that the clearances are very tiny, and these marks may be more common than we know. If your clutch is working OK then nothing to be concerned about.

Option 3 - do nothing! That is my favourite:D

I will check out the clutch play and if everything seems in order I'll button it up.

I was hoping to finish up the engine this weekend but my daughter decided to dump all of my carefully sorted hardware containers into one box.:banghead::yikes::mad: After sorting, I am short several bolts for the side covers (no idea where those went)! I have a new set of chrome hardware on order as of this evening...:shrug:

Those are classic marks from someone putting the clutch together incorrectly. I did it myself the first time.

If the bike kicks over or electric starts smoothly, then don't worry about it -- the problem was fixed and those scars won't hurt anything.

On the other hand, if you hear scraping or grinding when you use the kicker, or if the kicker won't move at all, then most likely, the clutch pressure plate is misaligned. There is a hole in the pressure plate that has to align with a mark on the clutch basket.

mine has it too. the only thing i can think of is someone in the past adjusted the cluch to disengage too far. mine works fine.

Those are classic marks from someone putting the clutch together incorrectly. I did it myself the first time.

If the bike kicks over or electric starts smoothly, then don't worry about it -- the problem was fixed and those scars won't hurt anything.

On the other hand, if you hear scraping or grinding when you use the kicker, or if the kicker won't move at all, then most likely, the clutch pressure plate is misaligned. There is a hole in the pressure plate that has to align with a mark on the clutch basket.

Excellent! I assembled it last night and turned it over with the kicker - smooth operation, no grinding.

Thanks for the reply!:thumbsup:

Back