Clutch Pushrod/Clutch Worm Assembly

Paul75

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hey guys, new to the forum and I'll be posting quite a bit no doubt as I'm doing a custom bike at the moment. Hoping someone can help, I did a search but couldn't find my answer. OK, I've cleaned / replaced the clutch worm assembly and replaced with a brand new clutch cable. My question is when I screw on the cover and pull the clutch cable with my hand (lever not fitted yet) there is complete resistance and the cover is trying to push itself over. I guess this is because the pin is not getting pushed in? If I had the clutch lever on would this generate enough leverage to push the pin in? Or am I missing something!!

Cheers guys

Paul

If you are trying to engage the clutch by just pulling on the clutch cable at the lever end of it without the lever attached, you wont be able to do so. Unless Im not understanding you correctly. Make sure the ball inside of the worm gear is in place, lube your clutch cable well, install clutch cable to worm gear, install left side cover and tighten all bolts up, install clutch cable into lever, adjust your clutch properly, then try to engage it by pulling on the lever. Should work great at this point.

I was having issues with mine because I just put the left cover on and screwed a couple bolts in, but not all the way in, and tried to pull the lever. If you can see the cover moving to the left then you dont have it bolted down all the way, and you wont engage the clutch fully.

Hey guys, new to the forum and I'll be posting quite a bit no doubt as I'm doing a custom bike at the moment. Hoping someone can help, I did a search but couldn't find my answer. OK, I've cleaned / replaced the clutch worm assembly and replaced with a brand new clutch cable. My question is when I screw on the cover and pull the clutch cable with my hand (lever not fitted yet) there is complete resistance and the cover is trying to push itself over. I guess this is because the pin is not getting pushed in? If I had the clutch lever on would this generate enough leverage to push the pin in? Or am I missing something!!
Cheers guys
Paul

Hi Paul and welcome,
the thing is taking the path of least resistance, is all.
If the cover ain't bolted down it'll move out rather than push the clutch rod in.
If the cover IS bolted down there's no effin' way the worm will push the clutch rod in just by pulling on the cable.
The lever has to be connected to work the clutch.
Note that a clutch cable that's properly lubricated and run in an easy curve will cut the clutch pull force in half
compared to that very same cable that's installed dry and snaked through sharp bends just to hide it under the tank.

Guys you have been fantastic, makes perfect sense now, just needed some reassurance, I'm confident now it will be fine once I have a lever.

Is it a good idea to replace the clutch pushrod seal whilst I'm at it? No idea whether it leaks or not.....

That seal is definitely a common source of oil leaks on XS650s and so if you're in there for something else and can do it - you likely should.

That seal is definitely a common source of oil leaks on XS650s and so if you're in there for something else and can do it - you likely should.
Hi Pete,
while you are theoretically correct I'd say "If it ain't broke don't fix it."
Mind you, if the seal IS leaking or if your enthusiasm drives you to replace a non-leaker, buy three of them AND the little scraper tool to bevel the hole with.
Everyone Effs up the first replacement, the second try mostly works and having a third seal handy is good insurance.

I might be getting the wrong end of the stick but have you replaced the clutch pushrod the wrong way round ?
They are ended. There is a tapered end which fits into the clutch worm. if you fit the rod the wrong way round it will try and push the worm out of the cover.

If you replace the oil seal put a new bush in at the same time . The bush is split and spring steel so that it retains inside the shaft . If you use a sharp point behind the bush you can lever one side of the bush into the centre and pull it out with pliers . Don't drill it !.:D

Back