Clutch pushrod install

alfredo

1978 xs650 Special
Reaction score
I just rebuilt my clutch pushrod mechanism and was about to puit and the side cover back on. I put a new metal ball and the rod into where the pushrod seal is and they both pushed all the way in. :/ beyond the seal. ??

I just rebuilt my clutch. Did I forget something? I was pretty certain that I put it back together the way I should have. Now I'm stuck with the ball and the rod inside with no way to get them out. And, no clue what I did wrong.

Any tips/pointers?

More details please! The rod is easy to get out, you just need one of those cheap little penshaped magnets. Also read of guys giving it a shot of compressed air to bring it out.

I say more details b/c most of the later bikes had 2 pushrods - maybe you are forgetting one. You can buy the long single pushrod from Mikes which will reduce the chance of leaks.

did u forget that mushroom thing that is in the clutch basket? seems like you have alot of play, its the only thing that comes to mind.

Will have to go shop for one of those magnets and I am 99.9999999% positive I put that mushroom thing back in there. Will go order the long rod now from Mikes.

Back