Clutch questions continued.

xsgeoff

XS650 Greenhorn
Reaction score
Hey all, I finally got the time to start taking my clutch apart to check out the source of my mysterious rattling and knocking sounds. I haven't been able to get the centre nut off yet because I don't have a holding tool. Just got a few questions:

1) The clutch basket has a bit of play with the large gear, I can move it a couple mm with my hand. Is my assumption correct that this should move tight with the gear, and there must be an issue with the springs between the two parts?

2) With the bike in gear, if I spin the centre hub, it seems that it has a significant amount of free play before it actually is engaging with the chain drive. If I turn it backwards, it also spins freely for a bit before engaging. Seems strange, but is this normal?

1 - Should be no wiggle/wobble/looseness there. Need to find it.

2 - That's normal, up to a point. There's generous clearances between the dogs and cogs, allows easy/quick shifting. Beyond normal 'free rotate' could indicate severely bent shift fork, where the dogs/cogs barely engage, or missing spacer washers.

1 - Thanks for confirming my intuition. Hopefully I will get a clutch holder from a guy I know tomorrow and can dig into that better.

2 - Just checked more carefully, and the free-rotation is basically 90 degrees. Is this correct? Haven't noticed any difficulties in engaging gears.

2 - It'll be different for each gear. I don't think anyone has ever measured and documented that rotation free-play from the viewpoint of the clutch hub end.

There 'is' a thread in here, from the last 12 months, where the poster was concerned about this rotation-play, but was reporting the issue from the viewpoint of the drive sprocket, which of course would be a different amount. Unfortunately, I can't seem to find that thread...

Thanks for the insight. I don't think there is an issue. My shifts are all pretty crisp, and I've only ever had 2 false neutrals (which may have just been my foot resting on the shifter) in the nearly 5000km I've put on it since owning so far.

One sort of unrelated question/remark: I was checking the spring free-length and my manual says they should be 34.6mm. The springs I have must be aftermarket hi-perf springs a PO must have installed, because they are blue and I am measuring 42.8mm free length. Anyone aware of an option out there like this? Just curious to know what I've got.

Back