Clutch slipping when cold

garykohl2

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I recently got my XS650 and it is in great shape. I have not changed the oil yet because he said he had just changed it and when I check it the oil looks brand new. I'm wondering if the wrong oil could be causing the problem I'm having though........
When I first crank the bike the clutch will slip pretty bad untill the bike is good and warm. When I first pull off I have to be real easy on the throttle untill about 4-5 miles down the road then it starts to grab again. Once the bike is good and warm there is no slippage at all. I've read on here about adjusting the clutch and did that but it is still the same. Could the wrong oil cause this or is there something I'm missing?
Thanks

Sure sounds like an oil-related problem to me. At a guess, wrong weight, too thick when it's cold.

An oil change to a known value is a relatively cheap and easy diagnostic.

Rule Number One on used bikes: Never believe anything the PO tells you.

Sure sounds like an oil-related problem to me. At a guess, wrong weight, too thick when it's cold.

An oil change to a known value is a relatively cheap and easy diagnostic.

Rule Number One on used bikes: Never believe anything the PO tells you.

Thats what I was assuming but I wanted to see if anybody else had this problem before. Guess I will change the oil this week and see what happens. Thanks

It could be that clutch adjustment. You could have it set too tight. When things heat up and expand, more freeplay is introduced into the adjustment. I would check the lower adjustment in the left cover.

It could be that clutch adjustment. You could have it set too tight. When things heat up and expand, more freeplay is introduced into the adjustment. I would check the lower adjustment in the left cover.

Thats the first thing I checked and I think I have set right.

Back