Clutch slipping

Scrambled

Motorcycle Man
Reaction score
My clutch was slipping and every attempt to adjust it made it worse. I ordered a bunch of brand new parts from XS Direct (Mike's) all upgrade stuff ( the kevelar plates, heavy springs, one piece rod, new worm , new steel plates ..... in other words, everything ).So, I was frustrated enough to take it to a shop ( found one close by that works on ancient bikes ) and they re and re the clutch .

It turns out the PO had already installed a bunch of new clutch parts but I can't see why the clutch was so messed up in the first place . I can't find one part that looks like it failed, broke or wore out ,and it looked like he had everything installed correctly . The new stuff I got put in is working better than I expected (does nice clutch wheelies ) . The only problem I have now is it is hard to find neutral when stopped and bike is running , (will go in if I am rolling or when shut off ).

Any ideas ?

What engine oil are you using?
Automotive engine oils are not appropriate for wet clutches. Drain your oil asap, and replace it with motorcycle-specific oil. You will have to ride the bike a bit before the new oil displaces the old oil on the friction plates, but eventually your clutch should stop slipping.
If you've already cured the slipping, and the problem is finding neutral, read post #8 in this thread:
http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27882

Clutch is working great now , better than I thought it would/ could . The problem with neutral is if I am stopped with engine running it won't move out of first , won't go into neutral or past neutral into 2nd . I can shift it into neutral if the bike is running and rolling (like down shifting when coming to a stop ) or if it is shut off , it shifts to neutral no problem. I have only put about 100 miles on it since replacing the clutch (yesterday) so it may work itself out ,( it needed a good run just to blow the winter gunk out of it ,) .

If your cable has tight bends or too many bends, you may not be getting full travel of the clutch plate. One sign of the cable having tight or too many bends is that the lever is too stiff. Look for kinks and try re-routing the cable.
The other thing you can try is lengthening the cable housing by screwing the adjusting disc at the lever out. This should give you more clutch separation, but it may lead to clutch drag.

Last edited:
Sounds like a simple adjustment of the cable and clutch mechanism.

Loosen the clutch cable and adjust the bottom clutch adjuster, then re-adjust cable.

You may not be getting the full movement of the pressure plate to release the clutch, doing the adjustment might be all you need.

Hope this helps.

The lever feels real good , very smooth action , light pull ( two finger ) just the right amount of free play (about 1/8 " ) , engages about 1/4 (a little less ) when you let it out and disengages ( starts to disengage as soon as you pull the lever , don't have to pull in all the way to the grip. Very quick shifting .) I am afraid of messing with it because other than the pesky neutral thing it is working real good . I will try giving a little length at the perch . Thanks ! Now it is time to go for a ride !

Back