Clutch Slipping

diab

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can somebody explain how to tell if my clutch is slipping? What are the symptoms/signs. I know what it feels like on a car, but have never experienced it on a motorcycle. Thanks a lot.

You're riding and all of a sudden it feels like you pulled the clutch in for a moment. Most often occurs when accelerating hard. Most common cause is not using motorcycle-specific oil. Auto oil has anti-friction modifiers in it, and doesn't work in wet clutches.

The stock clutch springs on these bikes are usually weak by now and in need of replacing. I usually notice clutch slip when accelerating hard in the higher gears if the original springs are still installed.

I think the original springs are still in the bike. Is there a recommended replacement used on this forum often?

There's replacement springs not to use - the ones from Mikes. Get them from 650Central. He has several sets of varying stiffness (to match the amount of mods you've done). All are good brand name springs, not the no-name junk that Mike's sells.

Back