clutch slips at high rpms

madman1980

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I have an 82 xs650sj.my first motor cycles and i love it.Had a few problems, but thanks to this web site and all the wealth of knowlage, this has been a great adventure.
anyways on to this problem.
the bike runs good.I pretty sure all my clutch adjustments..worm,perch and cable are in good standing.
from a stop the bike pulls good through 1st 2nd and most of the way through 3rd untill i get to around 5000 rpms.the clutch begains to slip.NOW I'M REALY GETTING INTO THE THROTEL.the slipping countinues through 4th then when i shift to 5th it stos sliping.I can feel the clutchs grab.
I'm useing 20/50 oil.I have owned the bike for two years,had cleand up the carbs this winter and replaced a torn diaphram.Never known the bike had that much top end rpm power. :yikes:
never had the clutch apart but that doesnt mean that somone else hasent.
IT ALMOSTFEELS LIKE A POWER BAND THAT IS MORE COMIN IN 2 STROKES IS THIS RIGHT OR IS MY CLUTCH SLIPPING:wtf:

Most of these bikes need new clutch springs. The originals are just tired after 30+ years. Plates are usually OK but if you keep pounding on it with them slipping like that, they won't be. Measure the thickness when you take it apart. They should be 3mm, 2.7mm is the wear limit.

Did you use auto, motorcycle or diesel oil? Don't use oil for cars. Makes clutches slip. Diesel and motorcycle oils don't.

I am also having the same issue. Just a few weeks ago i changed my oil. then my charging system totally blew out. I just finished putting in a pma and ignition. bike ticks like a clock.

The issue is that when i took the bike out for its first test run it felt like it had no top end power. after double checking the timing to make sure i was not totally off, i ran it again. now i am realizing it feels like the clutch is slipping at high rpm. The engine keeps producing rpm, but the bike feels like i am feathering the clutch. Also some more issues that all seem related. if i try to bump start the bike down my driv-way, it does not always catch. some times it bumps and other times it just keeps rolling with very little resistance. Also, if i really hammer on the kick start if feels like the kick starter arm moves down, with some resistance, but the pistons stay put.

Im not trying to thread jack, i just feel that Madman1980, alwaysmonday, and i are having the same issue, so i dont want to start a new thread.

thanks for any input.

ps. i did take the LF side cover off to replace the stator, but made sure i did not loose the steal ball, and installed it correctly.

It sounds like your clutch is slipping. Check the adjustment at the worm gear and make sure it's not too tight. Also, replace the springs. All these bikes need that.

If you love the bike and you want to end your slipping problems. New clutch plates old ones are junk. The Forodo clutches work. Once they start slipping they never stop. Been there done that with old in factory spec. Clutch plates The steels are usually good. I talked with MMM at 650 central and he said the Forodo springs would work for my modified motor. He knows what works. You might not need the stronger springs for a stock motor. Do it right the first time. I had mine apart more tha once. You will need an impack driver to remove the spring screws. Now that you have it running strong. Time to ride. :thumbsup:

Adjusted the worm screw and cable.....working great! So glad it was a simple adjustment to fix this issue. i was going to be really mad if it was another repair after my $500 into a new charging system, and a month of no riding.

Plan ahead and buy your clutch parts as you go. Adjustment might be a temporary fix. Old springs with increased duty will go pretty quick.

$0.02

Ahll rite.
Knees in the breeze. Face in the sun.
2 wheelin when it runs!
Welcome to the site.
What we are here for.
You searched. You fixed. Your riding.

Back