Clutch time soon

txpowdercoater

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
okies, although it only has 6k on the odo, the clutch isnt very happy and no amount of adjustment seems to help it.
sooooo, that being said, what would you recommend for an affordable clutch? I'm not racing it or even riding it hard, just a dependable clutch, I am running an 18 / 30 gear combo, so its not a jackrabbit off the line and that also adds more stress to an already old clutch.
I can always get the stock set-up and plates from the local yammi dealer if you think thats going to be adequate or is there one on the market I should spring for and be done with it?
Thanks

Build yourself a dry clutch,or if your unable to do that check your plates for wear and inspect all other clutch related parts to make sure that wear itself is indeed the problem, also what kind of oil are you running? Make sure to replace every other clutch spring with a heavy duty one.Go to 650 central,or mikes xs to check out clutch parts.

Build yourself a dry clutch,or if your unable to do that check your plates for wear and inspect all other clutch related parts to make sure that wear itself is indeed the problem, also what kind of oil are you running? Make sure to replace every other clutch spring with a heavy duty one.Go to 650 central,or mikes xs to check out clutch parts.

thanks for the tips, oil to thick affect it? should I use 10w30wt or just 30wt.

It'd be nice to find some of xsjohns' clutch tips from the ol 650rider vault.

How about Valvoline 20-50 for wet clutch motorcycles. Around 3 bucks a pop @ Autozone.

im running 20/50 in the bike now, thats why I asked about the viscosity, I guess if 20/50 is ok, then my clutch is indeed on its way south. I'll order some goodies tomorrow.

your light oil might be causing the issue. Try something/50 or straight 50 if you can find it. If you end up doing your clutch, do the throwout bearing while you're in there.

your light oil might be causing the issue. Try something/50 or straight 50 if you can find it. If you end up doing your clutch, do the throwout bearing while you're in there.

okies, thanks, I'll change it to straight 50 tomorrow.

Back