Clutch won't engage. Stuck in gear. Manually set to neutral?

Tyler Jay

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
How it happened: I was sitting still shifting through the gears on a new bike, put it into 1st and slowly released the stiff-ass clutch when it seemed "clunk" into a different gear. Now it's stuck in gear and the clutch won't engage.

At this point I would like to either alienate the issue and hopefully repair or just manually set it to neutral and drag it to a shop.

My question is what should I check for the faulty clutch? The clutch push screw seems to be working fine however the pushrod doesnt seem to be moving. (I plan on replacing the short-rod for the longer.)

If all this fails, how might one go about manually setting to neutral? Does the whole engine need to come out or could you just tear into the bottom-end?

just gently rock the bike back and foward and shift gears back to neutral. no need to even use the clutch with the engine off. i dont think that there is anything wrong, you just need to learn which way to hold your mouth when your operating these beasts. cheers

You did this engine running or off? Like yamaman says engine off rolling bike back and forth a little is best way to move tranny through the gears.
Always a good idea to remove the LH cover, pull clean and lube the worm gear, clean and lube the cable, remove the hand lever and clean polish and grease the pivot. Does the foot shift lever "feel" right or isn't it centering and returning? There are shift mechanism parts accessible beneath the RH clutch cover also and a few of those have maintenance issues that are easily corrected (broken spring, loose pivot bolt, bent or not centered ratchet mechanism) without going further into the tranny. Careful you watch assembly order on the kick start parts if you remove the RH cover. If you decide you need to go behind the clutch; assembly and alignment on clutch parts is very important.

you just need to learn which way to hold your mouth when your operating these beasts. cheers

This sounds funny, but it's almost true, it seems. My bike sometimes shifts perfectly, and then other times, she doesn't like to drop to first without a fuss, and I swear it seems as if it depends on what I had for lunch... :(

TC

Back