Complete Rebuilt XS 650 (750) Starting 1,695!

I don't know who you bought an engine from but it wasn't me partner. Also price was an issue that was brought up. I would also hope for a good quality engine for that price but I'm not sure it can be done cheaper.

jefft

If you are Jeff Thomas of Thomas Racing you are the builder I am talking about.

There is no price that makes a poorly built engine a bargain.

You guys are missing one big point here. 25 year motor that you are trying to rebuild.
I have built alot of motors and many XS650 and if i was going to have a motor built now it would go to HUGH. You can build whatever motor you want throw all the money at it you can BUT if you don't have a guy who looks for the hidden cracks and knows these motors in and out throw your money out the window. All of my motors came with a 6 month warrinty and if i remember in the last 4 years i had to do 3 motors back over because of oil leaks not performance. You are dealing with a old motor that runs hot then shut off run again hot over and over for 25 yrs. Things crack from heat stress. I don't build motors anymore (RETIRED) and i have built to a customers request and cases leaked motor ran great. If you have the money and want a good motor it needs to be completely broke down parts cleaned and inspected ALL seals and gasket replaced and HOPE you have a good set of case when it goes back together.
Bottom line on the cheap side LABOR IS MONEY and if you valvue your labor do you go to a guy who is chargeing you $25.00 hour or a guy who is $75.00 hour. No matter how it work even if its the middle $50.00 hour 20 hours on a good motor build thats $1000.00 bucks just in labor NO PARTS YET!!!

No problem Burns. I feel your pain. I'd be pissed too.I just don't want anyone thinking I'm the guy who burnt you. Pardon the pun. I'm in Arizona. I wonder if anybody wouldn't eventually have a problem of some kind though, if he built enough of these engines. The cases are getting a few years on them. Heck, I have bought stuff before brand new and it was screwed up right out of the box. Now if someone takes your hard earned money and rebuilds you an engine and you tear it back down to inspect and find they used a bunch of junk thats a different matter. They need to make that right including any shipping charges. But then again if I found that they had used junk parts I don't think I would want them to have a second chance. I think I would rather have a refund.
jefft

Last edited:
"Try spending $14,000 dollars on a new harley sportster, and you still don't have a bike that comes close to the xs 650 in design and reliability"

oh puhleeze...... it may be your opinion, but I disagree. Besides, a brand new Sporty doesn't need to cost $14k. Super low 883 starts at $8099.

I own an old XS (this is my 2nd), and also a newish (rubber mount, fuel injection) Sporty and there's really not much comparison.

Now, if you compare the XS to an over-priced, used, older Sportster, which will probably sell for double what a nice XS would cost, then yes, the XS becomes an extremely great deal.

But comparing an old XS to a brand new, under warranty XL is apples and oranges, sorry.

Ok, your correct that the new sportsters are much better than they used to be....my brother just bought a brand new 48', and i have to say i had bugs in my teeth from smiling after riding it. what i was referring to is that on a low budget such as mine, and many other riders, the xs-650 when running well is a pure joy to ride...especially when your not paying 260.00 a month to finance.....i personally love the style of the bikes, and would have no problem paying a couple of grand to have the engine over-hauled (by a well trusted mechanic of course).

Ok

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    326.5 KB · Views: 149
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    321.2 KB · Views: 151
No problem Burns. I feel your pain. I'd be pissed too.I just don't want anyone thinking I'm the guy who burnt you. Pardon the pun. I'm in Arizona. I wonder if anybody wouldn't eventually have a problem of some kind though, if he built enough of these engines. The cases are getting a few years on them. Heck, I have bought stuff before brand new and it was screwed up right out of the box. Now if someone takes your hard earned money and rebuilds you an engine and you tear it back down to inspect and find they used a bunch of junk thats a different matter. They need to make that right including any shipping charges. But then again if I found that they had used junk parts I don't think I would want them to have a second chance. I think I would rather have a refund.
jefft

I'd absolutely rather have the refund. But I'd like world peace and an end to disease too.

Ok, your correct that the new sportsters are much better than they used to be....my brother just bought a brand new 48', and i have to say i had bugs in my teeth from smiling after riding it. what i was referring to is that on a low budget such as mine, and many other riders, the xs-650 when running well is a pure joy to ride...especially when your not paying 260.00 a month to finance.....i personally love the style of the bikes, and would have no problem paying a couple of grand to have the engine over-hauled (by a well trusted mechanic of course).

Ok

H-D has come a long way that is for sure, but all those xs650 folks who lust for iron head Sportsters simply amazes me.

David
Its a no brainer you are in NC and HUGH is in NC
Like i said before i have been building motors CARS/STREET BIKES/DRAG BIKES/DIRT BIKES for well over 35 yrs and if i was going to have a XS650 built it would go there. HE EATS SLEEPS TALKS WALKS XS650 I am so surprised he didn't name his new baby daughter XS . Anyone that close its well worth it just to go to his shop and talk to him. Next time i visit my son in NC Hughs shop is on my list to just stop by and meet the guy.

I know I am new here but I am not new to the xs650 world. I have been knee deep in it since 2006. I own my own business and didnt have the time to build a motor myself so I thought I would let a "professional" do it. BIG MISTAKE, at least with Jeff Thomas. This dude is a crook. I had problems with the motor from the time I got it and I had to take it back to him myself after arguing with him on the phone. Needless to say, the motor is being rebuilt AGAIN less than a year after I got it from him (by someone I trust). I am not gonna go into details because I will just get pissed off all over again but let's just say do not ever give this dude your money.

I CANNOT believe that Ardcore Choppers deals with this dude. Talk about giving yourself a bad name.

Last edited:
You can get a HD sportster of CL right now for 2000 and thats cheap. I just bought one the other day. The thing is the parts are a lot more expensive. The gasket kit for example is roughly 200 on the high side. The XS cost 50 on the high side. I prob should have decided to build the XS only there wasn't one available and the sportster was a steal. If your going to have someone else build for you make sure you do your research. Some people on the forum have been burned by some builders listed in these forums in the tech section.

From personal experience, DO NOT BUY AN ENGINE FROM THIS GUY!!!!!!. Check out XSHell on the other forum.

Back