Completely silver leaf a tank

I've seen a completely gold leafed tank. I didn't care for it. I don't have pics though, sorry. What makes you want to leaf a whole tank? Just curious.

Wife wants a bare steel look...but in Minnesota that just isn't going to work. Clearcoat might keep a tank for a little while I guess. But I'm also trying to match a alum fender to a steel tank. Totally sucks. WD40 or oil thing won't work cause she won't likely keep up with doing it the maintenance.

Anybody ever see a completely silver leafed tank? If you have pics please post them.

I can see where silver leaf could give a nice stressed metal look. If you don't swirl your leaf brush though. If you plan on swirling, then I would suggest going with aussies tip and doing the bare metal angle swirl technique.

Here is an image of the stressed leaf look inside lettering:
0_8993.jpg

Wife wants a bare steel look...but in Minnesota that just isn't going to work. Clearcoat might keep a tank for a little while I guess. But I'm also trying to match a alum fender to a steel tank. Totally sucks. WD40 or oil thing won't work cause she won't likely keep up with doing it the maintenance.

Just stall her a couple of weeks and she will change her mind again. Once she decides on something easier, pull the trigger and do it before she changes her mind again.

Just stall her a couple of weeks and she will change her mind again. Once she decides on something easier, pull the trigger and do it before she changes her mind again.

To funny! You could have it powdercoated chrome. Chrome powdercoating doesnt look as good as real chrome(looks more like aluminum). Maybe take that and brush down the clear to make it look more like bare metal. Or just clear the bare metal with clear powder coat or auto clear coat. By the time it rusts she will be telling you she wants to paint it some other color anyway. Or just take Jamesgs4 advice. Thats probably the best advice given:thumbsup:

Thanks for the advice guys. Deep down I'm really hoping that she changes her mind back to black but I gotta agree with her that in its bare metal form the bike looks badass.

Bare metal is sick, even if it's overdone:

6322305475_0451186532_b.jpg

I just sprayed mine with rattle can clear. Worked out ok for a distressed look.

I've got my stuff going in for real paint though.

You could always powdercoat it clear. Heard that works pretty well.

bare metal with candy and clear. prob should have mentioned that. I was going to just clear it but decided that the bike needed some color.

I'm definitely not a paint guy, but remember reading about a self etching primer that is clear then you clear over that. No reason it should rust then.

I just found some stuff for another project that is pretty cool. You spray it on and it reacts to bare metal and creates a variety of looks. They have copper, brass, bronze, stressed copper etc. I bought a bronze, sprayed it on and it 10 minutes it I turned a bright piece of steel into bronze. I then sprayed the neutralizer on it then cleared it. It's out in the shop and I'll post a link later. Not exactly what you're after I know but never the less it's a super product.

Back