computer garbage,,, help if possible......

oldbiker

oldbiker
Reaction score
hi guys well i,m going to upgrade my old computer ,,sort of,,, it a p3 with a 1 gig ram and only a 566 hardrive processor ,,,, anyway i,m going wireless due to our lines etc in town ,,, so i,ll get 4 1/2 times faster internet ,,, then i,m trying to go wireless on my keyboard and mouse ,,,,but i,ve only got 1 usp slot .... can i piggy back with a 2 inti 1 short cord going back to the single usp port ??? your help would be great ,,, in my tiny little country town ,,,we have a new computerguy he,s reasonably young ,,but just starting ,, after talking yesterday ,,,, he,s good at talking ,,he say he a good sale guy/ marketing ...bla bla bla ... so yep i orderd a wireless mouse and keyboard as a bundle deal ,,,, logitech 260,,, so can i piggy back them with a 2 into 1 cord to the usp port ,, 42 bucks ,,i did check on ebay ,,,and the cost is o,k ,,

The usb slot connections all just come together inside, so you should be able to get an external adapter than you can plug a bunch of usb devices into and then plug that into your comp. Be careful about getting what they call a "web book" computer. It's what I have and they arre little but sloooow.

Not that upgrading to wireless key/mouse is bad ( make sure you get multiple sets of rechargeable battery's ) I really cant believe your local "tech guy" didnt go yank you something like this out of a parts computer he more than likely has a pile of in back for FREE or just a few dollars

unless you MOBO was to the max on pins this woulda been a better choice IMHO

USB_motherboard_line_usb_cable_.jpg

Hey Oldbiker,,
Your processor speed could be a problem, to small. It will still work but will bottle neck if you open up to many pages. I bought a second hand Dell optiplex, Dual core1.8 ghz and 99 geg of ram with 2 usb slots in the front and 4 in the back

Dell Optiplex DELL INTEL DUALCORE 3GHZ 1GB 80GB DVD/CDRW WINXP HOME For the price and what you get this would be a great deal. No i am not him or a relation, just had a look and would be on my list if i was in the market.

A computer tech guy will always have his own best interest at heart, unless you know what you want and you have to tell him that and don't deviate.

i hear what your saying skull,,,, this new computer guy in my tiny wimmera town has allready got local people talking ,,,and ever since he said toooo me thatalot of his day is spent doing sales and marketing ,,,, why move toooo my tiny country town ,,,, and 2 weeks later still no stock to show ,,,, i amm sus about this guy,, talks cheap ,,,,,,, i,ll try to be careful and i watch what he does ,,,,he did say too me that his small that his small tiny shop is his office /studio,,, and now he,s changed to even a smalle desk and hiden it in the windo under the cover of pasting colour a4 signs all over the shop window so you cannot see if he,s there ,,,with what he,s got there he could have stayed hoome in his lounge room / tiolet.. ... look sorry now i,m being bitchy ... i was talking to some off the chicks in town ,,regards oldbiker

hi thanks for that info i,m waiting for an email from a proven computer seller in brisbane,,, he,s selling ,,,,re-furnished ex goverment computers all loaded up and all programs ,,,8usb ports 4-8gig ram 500 gig hard drive dvd/cd burner /player ..with screen ,,, hopefully i,ll go that way . regards oldbiker

hi guys well i,m still fooling around with this p3 computer ,,,, the processoris x86 family 6 model11 stepping ,,, genuine intel 567 mhz,,,,,is there an easy fit or quick easy change that i can upgrade my processor without dramas ,,, hope you guys can help me regards oldbiker

No there is no easy way to do it. An upgrade would require a new motherboard. Those are $100+ . Then you would need to upgrade your ram as well. Possibly the power supply also. I just honestly think its a lost cause at this point.

At this time I think your best bet would be to get a newer refurbished unit or wait until one of the big retail stores has a "back to school/university" sale and you should be able to get a damn good PC reasonably. I don't know anyone in Aus that does refurbished PC's off the top of my head. Just surf the craigslist and see if anyone can come through.

hi thanks for your good advice,,,, i realise you are correct,,, its time i bit the bullet ,,, there are a few ebay sellers in queensland with high feedback scores 4500 etc.... that are selling refurnished ex- goverment 2 year old stock ,, for around 350 plus reg post so i may look at them more seroiusly ... ,,also yesterday when i went to town the crappy supermarket was re-opening in a smaller shop ,,,and yep it was crap ,,, no booze ,,,no meat ,,, and no sliced bread at all ,,this is at 10 am ,, anyway i,lll get over it thanks for your help regards oldbiker

Bought mine, Screen, keyboard, mouse, and A tower for $325 from an x govt surplus store in Brisbane. looking at the shop in the link i gave you you can get the same or better set up for less than $200 with postage included. Always a risk with second hand but hell i have found computers can last for years. I must admit i am a Dell fan and found them to be a strong computer.

Back