Conflicting info on Autolite 63 for 79 points bike

Wrenchmorethanride

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi All,
I want to replace the original BP7ES plugs. Seems like they were discontinued. I have some Autolite AP63 and Autolite 63 plugs. I searched to forum and I see different opinions on if these are compatible with my bike. My bike is stock with all original ignition components.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Might be a USA thing? I recently bought a pack of four BP7ES and they're widely available. They're really common in 70's and 80's Japanese bikes.

As far as I can see BP7ES crosses to

Champion N7YC and Autolite AR52.

Last edited:
I run an AP65 in the left cylinder and an AP64 in the right. Had to swap the NGK caps out to accommodate the 65 plug as it doesn't have the removable top contact.
Why?
Some xsjohn (rip) voodoo about the different temps that the two cylinders have, as one runs hotter than the other, and just to be contrary to the purist norm. Been running like that for years now.

I run an AP65 in the left cylinder and an AP64 in the right. Had to swap the NGK caps out to accommodate the 65 plug as it doesn't have the removable top contact.
Why?
Some xsjohn (rip) voodoo about the different temps that the two cylinders have, as one runs hotter than the other, and just to be contrary to the purist norm. Been running like that for years now.
From what I can see the AP64 and 65 plugs are resistor plugs. Are those ok to use with a points bike? I’m having a tough time finding non-resistor plugs. Thanks

Since they've been discontinued in the States here, I got my last batch of BP7ES plugs from England. They've been reissued over there under the new stock number 2412 .....

NGKPlugNewNumber2.jpg

I found them on eBay for pretty much the same price per plug I was paying here locally.

Perhaps I should have said, I bought a pack of four BP7ES the other week off eBay. They were selling for a four cylinder car engine and were very cheap. They are certainly genuine NGK, I noticed these days they're made in Thailand.

Back