Confused on vin

Shovelhead

BVCUSTOMS
Reaction score
Hey guys on my vin plate 9 digit number the date of manufacture is 7/79 what year would that make the bike trying to decifer to a 17 digit number thanks for any help

As a rule, date codes after midyear usually denote a bike built for the coming model year. For instance a 9/79 code would be a 80' model. July is a bit of a toss up, not sure when the cut off date would occur. What model XS are you working with?

roy

It's a 650 special Royboy is there any other way to varify or isn't there much difference in parts to worry about it thanks

Mine has drum brake

Attachments

• IMG_0662.JPG
    IMG_0662.JPG
    222.8 KB · Views: 128
How to tell if ignition is TCI I was told it was an 80 but then a lot of stuff on net it could be a 79 there has to be some logical way to tell which year it is?

The tubular grab rail, the flying brick tail light, spoke rims, drum brake, license plate lamp and the lift off seat. I've yet to hear of anyone welding the lift off seat fork receivers onto a pre 1980 frame.
The painted fenders could be off an '82, but now were going into the future.
Look at the cam end cover on the left side. If there are wires coming out from it then it's point. Heck, take the two screws out and check under that cover. If there are points you'll see 'em.

Yup have both thanks for all the info just trying to figure this out and with that is it 79 or 80

2F0 20**** 80SG .............Speedo Gauge, 80-83..........Wheels/rims from Standard, 74-79..............Grab-rail, 81H.............Rear guard, looks to be black chrome, if so it is from an 82 heritage special.............Frame used to be a rear Disk brake model, still has the mounting brackets for the rear Master Cylinder............

With the Vin No and the M/C brackets..........80SG sounds right..............Nice tidy bike worth keeping as is

Chubby guy 53, mine has 6/80 on the vin but it is called a 1981 Special. Vin is 4M4-0026 etc. More interesting, what is that on your kick start? Does it work well? Never seen one of those before?

Hey Chubby guy 53, welcome aboard!
As you may be figuring there's a lot of swapping of parts that can occur between the years. Some are simple exchanges and others, not so.
Skull has a good read on model ID here somewheres.... great to view comparisons of the years.
Your bike is a bitsa, bits o' this and that, but does look good.....and those earlier rims should give it good flickability in the twisties.

Even with bits and pieces from 79, the most important thing is that the engine is an 80 with TCI and you will need to proceed accordingly. I.e. if you are going to do a reg/ret swap or if you have to chase down electrical issues.

Back