Confusing issue with my oil level...

brendo22

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am a little perplexed by my oil level after an oil change... I searched the site but couldn't find a similar example or experience listed.

Bike - 77 XS650D

I recently changed out my oil, sump filter, and oil filter. When I put my new oil in and measured my dipstick, I had gotten to about 2.6 qts (2500 cc) of oil and was still registering below halfway between the low & high mark. Visually, the level where my oil hits with this amount of oil in the crankcase was about halfway between the low mark and middle (correct level)

Just to save time - I warmed the engine up after putting 2000 cc in, then let it cool down for a couple of minutes before measuring, I set the stick on the threads, on the centerstand, on level ground, I then added oil up to 2500cc to get the reading above.

Also, I haven't run the bike (outside of idling it for warming it up to measure) or ridden the bike since this. I also went back and checked my oil after the bike had been sitting for more than a couple days (on centerstand the whole time) and the oil measured out pretty much at the same level as it did when I warmed her up and checked her the first time.

So, I'd appreciate feedback, opinions etc on what I should do? I don't want to overfill it and spit oil out of my breathers (I have pods) but I also want to have the correct amount of oil in my crankcase. (I am going to check that my dipstick measurements are within spec tomorrow, but I'm 99.9% positive it is the correct one for my bike, etc and it's the plastic version).

Thanks for the input! :thumbsup:

If you've done the oil filter too, there will be more capacity to fill with oil. Basically you are right in filling the bike with designated amount, run it a touch, check again and just top up until you have a stable correct level on the stick. You are also right in taking the reading with the dip stick on the threads and the bike level.

Thanks for the response Paul!

Yeah, that's what I figured too, I just was thrown off when I had gotten to 2500cc of oil and it was still registering so low, being that everything I read on here says that 2500cc of oil on a periodic oil change should make you right up near the full mark or tends to be too much. I think to get to halfway, I'll have to put in another .25 qt of oil at least...

Yep, I've had Kawasaki bikes that I've raced that can be different even though are "sisters" just fill to the level the bike asks for. That's why a lot of people now complain they've had their bike for service and it doesnt have enough oil in. The garage use a pre determined amount to squirt in, but don't use their common sense!

Yep, I've had Kawasaki bikes that I've raced that can be different even though are "sisters" just fill to the level the bike asks for. That's why a lot of people now complain they've had their bike for service and it doesnt have enough oil in. The garage use a pre determined amount to squirt in, but don't use their common sense!

I'd say now you know where the "full" mark should really be. Maybe notch your dip stick for future reference.

I'd say now you know where the "full" mark should really be. Maybe notch your dip stick for future reference.

Not sure how you mean that Burns? Do you mean I know where "full" should be as of putting the amount of oil I have in it now currently? Or when I re-top off to the middle of the marks on my dipstick even though it's more than the designated amount specified?

Yeah, I'll be going by the dipstick's correct measurement, no matter what the "specified amount" is from now on :thumbsup:

Not sure how you mean that Burns? Do you mean I know where "full" should be as of putting the amount of oil I have in it now currently? Or when I re-top off to the middle of the marks on my dipstick even though it's more than the designated amount specified?

You put a known (correct) quantity of oil into the crankcase and so now you know what the level on your dipstick is for that quantity. Don't get hung up on the marks the factory put on the stick - they are wrong. Just notch the stick where the oil line is and that will be your "full" mark for future reference.

Slightly below half way sounds about right to me. You have pods, what fork, front tire are you running? The point being level will vary depending on how the bike sits on the center stand. The stick is far aft a lowered front end will make the oil level look lower.
Yamaha originally called for 3000cc of oil in the XS1, they found that with much oil the crankshaft hit and frothed the oil and it would foam and blow out the vent, so they lowered the oil level to 2600cc. Overfilling is not a good thing. Watch your level, learn the normal consumption rate. Factor in extended freeway drones at 5000 RPM or other "hard" use. Some dip sticks were marked wrong, side to side tilt will change the "oil level" also. Many center stands are no longer all that straight. On the late bikes with sight windows, the stick vs sight window level is often quite different.
In short, like Burns sez; put in 2600cc note the stick level where you normally park, use that as reference. I generally check with both tires on the ground, because the center stand tends to self destruct with constant use, shrug.
In the Toyota Prius oil level is critical, fill to the high mark or add what the book says and mileage takes a hit, the additional drag of the crank splashing the oil shows up in fuel consumption.

Just gonna throw it out, but my 77' has a metal dipstick....unless you're talking about the cap itself...that's plastic

full

Service bulletin for 75

Hey 650Skull, yeah that's what I referred to for confirming my dipstick was correct, and it was, so it was still confusing that 2.6L of oil still showed up about halfway between the "correct level & the low mark on the stick". But the consensus is to go with the amount specified and see how that goes and adjust from there, then notch your dipstick with what your bike runs with, and not to go solely by the dipstick... this was my first oil change with the bike, so I have to log some miles in and see how it goes to get a sense of what she needs.

Back